Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > My new 870 Special Purpose Marine Magnum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoshot
As for the ejector issue that some have eluded to, there certainly have been ejector issues on some brand new 870s but virtually all have been cleared up with a bit of hard use from what I've read, guess I should give mine some hard use sometime.
I believe this true for the mode part bedsides your occasional lemon. I also saw your other post about the gun shop attendee. In think he is right. I have the same issues when I load/reload/unload the same HD/ shells over and over. When the rims on the casings start get beat up and misshaped. Go buy your self a bulk pack (250) of target load, and go break er' in hard! The marine finish adds .002"and up to even .005" in some places. This cause the fit to be much tighter on everything (hence my barrel issues. Once I pulled hard enough, it came out and has been fine ever since it just had to wear a bit in the fit.) I believe this also makes the action tougher which is where that case of low base come in! Go break er' in and it'll feel like glass. Also might why try honing your chamber with the automotive break drum honer like Virginian describes above before you take er' out.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #32
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1543 Times on 943 Posts
Likes Given: 7877

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
well said Kfox. i have asked Hock repeatedly for proof or evidence to to support his stance on Remington firearms, and so far none has been forthcoming.

any company that mass produces any item, whether it be a firearm, a car or a toaster, in huge quantities will produces a few that are sub-standard. it's simply the law of averages. the more they produce the more chances at making some that fail. that's why a reputable company offers a warranty on their products.

anyone can get on the internet and flame on anything they want to. but with out proof, facts or evidence to support a statement, it lacks credibility.
Thank you Axxe.

I have googled the "issue" that have been repeatedly brought up by some on here. Just for sh!ts and grins, I replaced 870 with 500, model 37, BPS, and a few other models. All I could find for so called quality issues was a bunch of forum posts. No actual articles or recall notices.

As I said in an earlier post, everyone goes to the forums to report that they are having Issues. No one ever posts that their ------- model ----- is the MFing bomb. hence why sme feel it is warranted when they bash brand A, and praise brand B.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #33

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoshot View Post
Actually quality is subject to the individual item.

Genius! And then came mass production. Started with guns by the way. See John Hall. Was called "the American process" by the English before the Industrial Revolution. And Remington 870's have awful QC.

Or for that matter try them in another 870 XCS, of which as hard as I've looked I am the only one it seems who's ever had a problem. It's not yer express model or your typical nickle plated MM model, the Marine Magnum XCS was too expensive for Remington to continue making and is mostly a P model with a trynite coating.

No -- no-one was buying it. Their sales have already been supplanted by Mossberg. They're having a hard-enough time scaming people to still buy the regular POS 870 and fund NASCAR and TV Shows and rich executives as opposed to family owned Mossberg.

Well that's just the point, I cant, especially for what I bought it for.

Ha! Not a bad idea actually except for one problem. They don't make this model anymore and because I do three week long ocean trips by canoe, I can't do without the Trynite coating. Nothing Mossberg makes or Remmington (anymore) comes close to the salt water rust resistance of the MM XCS and when I say I'm canoeing for three weeks at a time... I really mean I'm in a tent for three weeks and I am not engaging in any gun cleaning activities while I'm out there.

Yes, a warning that not all guns can stand up to prolonged salt water exposure without regular maintenance. Ultimately I'll work out the bugs because I need reliability and I want THIS gun. The Mossberg would not stand up to the wear and tare and neglect I'd put it through over a season.

OK Grizzly Man. And Mossberg doesn't make marine models... Wow.

I'm not yer typical weekend warrior car camper.
So you won't compare-test the two guns. I gave you a simple enough program to try. If not, then stop commenting.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:43 AM   #34

Liked 128 Times on 98 Posts

Hock, you need to just change your username to Mossberg Fanboy.

What could have happened... did.

People Like This 
Old 05-25-2013, 12:52 AM   #35
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20938 Times on 11895 Posts
Likes Given: 52509

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
he truly makes the Glock fanboys look tame by comparison!
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 05-25-2013, 01:49 AM   #36

Liked 2079 Times on 1225 Posts
Likes Given: 447

To the OP:

Nice looking shotgun.

I've got more time and experience with Mossberg shotguns (they're what I've trained and qualified with in the Navy). But I own a 500 and an 870. Haven't had a problem with either one.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:50 AM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 248 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Default Signs of Spring

Blue skies, warm weather and Hock pissing in the collective bowel of 870 owners Cheerios....

"it's all Good."

Old 05-25-2013, 01:59 AM   #38

Liked 2079 Times on 1225 Posts
Likes Given: 447

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
Blue skies, warm weather and Hock pissing in the collective bowel of 870 owners Cheerios....

"it's all Good."
While my Cheerios may end up passing through my bowel. They usually start in a bowl. And Hock and I don't know each other well enough to be getting pee, where you said.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:14 AM   #39
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1543 Times on 943 Posts
Likes Given: 7877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
He can't. We are stuck with our user names. I myself would suggest that he puts it in as his user title.

Even though i don't agree with his opinion of Remington 870s, I do have to respect his commitment to his beliefs, and his right to said opinions. You really can't say that he lacks the fortitude to express his beliefs on that subject, and for that I respect him.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 05-25-2013, 05:21 AM   #40

Liked 246 Times on 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBall View Post
Here she is!
There's slot you can do checkout my 870

forumrunner_20130525_001807.jpg

forumrunner_20130525_001920.jpg

forumrunner_20130525_001848.jpg

forumrunner_20130525_001935.jpg

I added alot to mine and despite all the Addons it's still very light

Last edited by Ultimate_sig; 05-25-2013 at 10:22 PM.