Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > My new 870 Special Purpose Marine Magnum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 11:27 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I didn't want to say but my 870 XCS Marine Magnum has ejection issues (pruchased new in 2007). The reason I didn't want to say is because I have not put very many rounds through it, although I did initially pay the local gun shop $60 to take a look at it but I'm sure all they did was fire a round or two through it.

I do believe that this problem is likely to work it self out if I were to put more attention into it. For instance pumping it slowly is just a bad idea for any pump gun, also cycling dummy rounds through it at home is bad too if the edge that the ejector pin needs to grab is too chewed up over time, and you can often see how repeatedly cycling those dummy rounds leaves metal dust in the chamber.

I'd like to make my XCS marine magnum a case study for this problem, and get someone who knows these shotguns well to offer up their opinion.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #22

Liked 113 Times on 87 Posts

If you have ejection issues with especially the cheap shells, hone the chamber. Five minutes with an automotive drum brake wheel cylinder hone (about $8) will solve 99.99% of issues in these cases. I have seen Mossbergs and Novas and even BPSs being beat on the ground too, so Remington does not have a corner on the market for chambers that aren't polished as well as they used to be in all cases. Most of them are fine. Plus the new cheap shells are big contributors. Expresses are not Wingmasters, but they don't cost like Wingmasters either. Everyone piles on Remington, but Mossberg gets a total bye for their breakable safety. No machine is perfect, not even my new Sierra - I HATE automatic headlights ! If you have any minor issues with your 870, either fix them or contact Remington and get on with things. Remington, and Mossberg to be fair, seem to be worlds ahead of the competition in the Customer Service department. Another advantage of an 870 is you don't have to worry about Hock stealing it. In spite of less than polished finishing on the less expensive models, an 870 is still milled out of forged steel, and it is a solid gun that will last you forever. I have been shooting them for 39 years, and not long ago I shot a friend's son's new Express. Not a thing wrong with it that I could see. And it worked fine with the WalMart cheapie Winchesters even.

What could have happened... did.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #23

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoshot View Post
I didn't want to say but my 870 XCS Marine Magnum has ejection issues (pruchased new in 2007). The reason I didn't want to say is because I have not put very many rounds through it, although I did initially pay the local gun shop $60 to take a look at it but I'm sure all they did was fire a round or two through it.

I do believe that this problem is likely to work it self out if I were to put more attention into it. For instance pumping it slowly is just a bad idea for any pump gun, also cycling dummy rounds through it at home is bad too if the edge that the ejector pin needs to grab is too chewed up over time, and you can often see how repeatedly cycling those dummy rounds leaves metal dust in the chamber.

I'd like to make my XCS marine magnum a case study for this problem, and get someone who knows these shotguns well to offer up their opinion.
I am rather too familiar with Remingtons. The chamber thing is a red-herring. An aquaintance armorer who tests shotguns for a gov't agency that uses them rejects most as already being oversized chambers! The Rem-think is they'll be more reliable...

What other popular gun can you name that needs to be woked hard to be broken in so it is reliable?! It's bull, and Remington has taken to making carp their owners defend. The Emperor has no clothes. Expensive carp to boot. After 10,000,000 and cutting corners they should be damned near free!

And if anybody cares and knows my recommendations I always say to change the resin safety on the Mossberg 500's to metal. That's its only shortcoming.

Last edited by HockaLouis; 05-21-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:05 AM   #24

HockaLouis, I don't really buy into the Canon is better than Nikon, Coke better than Pepsi crap. I think you get what you pay for and if you buy a low end cheap shotgun many will show problems. On the other hand even if you buy something expensive ANYONE can get a lemon, thing is to not trash an entire brand because of it.

As for my 870 XCS problem, I took it back to the gun shop today to complain that it still jams even after they originally looked at it, this time he replaced the extractor pin (now no longer a trynite coated one which I dont much care for) and charged me $15.

He then hands me about four well worn 2 3/4" dummy rounds for me to cycle through in front him. It jammed on the first pump. he then says it's cause the rims on the dummy rounds are chewed all to hell so get gets a pack of new dummy rounds and tells me to try again. No problem this time.

I don't really believe my XCS really has an extractor problem anyway. My problem seems to be when using 2 3/4" shells, I discharge the round in the chamber and pump the action and the new cartridge seems to jam up against the spent one the extractor is pulling out.

Maybe I just need to actually fire this thing allot more, I doubt it's seen 100 rounds go down the barrel since I bought it in 2007.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:15 AM   #25

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Right. Quality is all the same, whatever the brand...

Go back and try feeding those four "chewed all to hell" rounds through the first Mossberg 500 you see, new or used. Bet you won't have a problem. Not one. Your "repaired" Remington?

How can you ever trust it? Seriously. How!? I'd also bet you aren't. So why keep it!? Sell it to someone here for more than you paid for it -- tell them you halfway broke it in to functioning but won't charge them for the ammo or repair.

And let this be a warning to others who get taken by Remington and get embarrassed into defending their poor, expensive, decison to buy a modern 870...

Old 05-22-2013, 03:40 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Actually quality is subject to the individual item.

Quote:
Go back and try feeding those four "chewed all to hell" rounds through the first Mossberg 500 you see, new or used.
Or for that matter try them in another 870 XCS, of which as hard as I've looked I am the only one it seems who's ever had a problem. It's not yer express model or your typical nickle plated MM model, the Marine Magnum XCS was too expensive for Remington to continue making and is mostly a P model with a trynite coating.

Quote:
How can you ever trust it? Seriously. How!?
Well that's just the point, I cant, especially for what I bought it for.

Quote:
So why keep it!? Sell it to someone here for more than you paid for it -- tell them you halfway broke it in to functioning but won't charge them for the ammo or repair.
Ha! Not a bad idea actually except for one problem. They don't make this model anymore and because I do three week long ocean trips by canoe, I can't do without the Trynite coating. Nothing Mossberg makes or Remmington (anymore) comes close to the salt water rust resistance of the MM XCS and when I say I'm canoeing for three weeks at a time... I really mean I'm in a tent for three weeks and I am not engaging in any gun cleaning activities while I'm out there.

Quote:
And let this be a warning to others who get taken by Remington and get embarrassed into defending their poor, expensive, decison to buy a modern 870...
Yes, a warning that not all guns can stand up to prolonged salt water exposure without regular maintenance. Ultimately I'll work out the bugs because I need reliability and I want THIS gun. The Mossberg would not stand up to the wear and tare and neglect I'd put it through over a season.

I'm not yer typical weekend warrior car camper.

Last edited by Photoshot; 05-22-2013 at 03:46 AM.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:14 AM   #27

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBall View Post
Here she is!
Beautiful!!!

Old 05-22-2013, 04:34 AM   #28

Liked 4421 Times on 2144 Posts
Likes Given: 1311

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBall View Post
Havin trouble getting the barrel out!! I've had it out once. Haven't fired it yet. I have the mag extension off but the barrel just won't seem to budge! Very frustrated. This nickel finish makes the fit so tight. I love that about the gun but right now is passing me off!!
Did you loosen the magazine clamp and cycle the bolt to the rear?

Can be tough to pull any shotgun barrel without doing these two as well...

As for all the Hocka Hooey going on here...

My 870 Express Magnum is 8 years old and has never jammed, misfired, or done anything other than say BOOM every time I've asked it to.

On the contrary... My Mossberg Maveric 500 likes to drop the fresh shell on my foot rather that lifting it to the chamber when trying to rack a fresh cartridge??

I paid $50 for the Mossy so it's not been worth investigation or correction...Not when I could buy a REMI 870 new for $ 289.99

Tack

Last edited by Tackleberry1; 05-22-2013 at 04:37 AM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-22-2013, 07:50 AM   #29
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1473 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 7200

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post

Go back and try feeding those four "chewed all to hell" rounds through the first Mossberg 500 you see, new or used. Bet you won't have a problem. Not one. Your "repaired" Remington?

How can you ever trust it? Seriously. How!? I'd also bet you aren't. So why keep it!? Sell it to someone here for more than you paid for it -- tell them you halfway broke it in to functioning but won't charge them for the ammo or repair.

Hocka, with all due respect, I still stand by what I said in my earlier post. A large number of folks post on gun forums that they are having an issue with ----- with their -------- model-----. Almost nobody ever posts that their ------ model ----- is the bomb. Your low opinion of Remingtons is your right, and you have the right to express it, but not all modern Remingtons are junk. In all likelyhood, not even most are. Any gun can fail, regardless of make or model. A good example of that is the Mossberg 495 slug guns. Remember the problem they had with going bang when the bolt was being closed? I do. Almost took a slug to the foot because of that design flaw. It wasn't until it happened to a couple hundred people that Mossberg sent out a recall and fixed the problem. Still to this day I know people that wouldn't take one as a gift, and others who still can't sell their's even with the repair documents as part of the sale package.

If you want more folks to believe that all of the new Remingtons a cr@p, post some links to documented cases of them failing so we can see for ourselves. If you can provide some actual proof to me, I would gladly sell both of the 870s in the safes, and buy something better. Until then, I will defend my choice to get rid of the Maverick I had, and to keep my 870. Not trying to be an azzhole here, but the Remington bashing without proof is getting old. Prove your case please.

As I said above, I am not trying to flame or troll here. I do respect your opinion, and your right to such opion, even if ti differs from mine. All I want is to see some proof that backs up what you are saying. Nothing more, nothing less.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 05-22-2013, 10:06 PM   #30
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19489 Times on 11069 Posts
Likes Given: 49106

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
Hocka, with all due respect, I still stand by what I said in my earlier post. A large number of folks post on gun forums that they are having an issue with ----- with their -------- model-----. Almost nobody ever posts that their ------ model ----- is the bomb. Your low opinion of Remingtons is your right, and you have the right to express it, but not all modern Remingtons are junk. In all likelyhood, not even most are. Any gun can fail, regardless of make or model. A good example of that is the Mossberg 495 slug guns. Remember the problem they had with going bang when the bolt was being closed? I do. Almost took a slug to the foot because of that design flaw. It wasn't until it happened to a couple hundred people that Mossberg sent out a recall and fixed the problem. Still to this day I know people that wouldn't take one as a gift, and others who still can't sell their's even with the repair documents as part of the sale package.

If you want more folks to believe that all of the new Remingtons a cr@p, post some links to documented cases of them failing so we can see for ourselves. If you can provide some actual proof to me, I would gladly sell both of the 870s in the safes, and buy something better. Until then, I will defend my choice to get rid of the Maverick I had, and to keep my 870. Not trying to be an azzhole here, but the Remington bashing without proof is getting old. Prove your case please.

As I said above, I am not trying to flame or troll here. I do respect your opinion, and your right to such opion, even if ti differs from mine. All I want is to see some proof that backs up what you are saying. Nothing more, nothing less.
well said Kfox. i have asked Hock repeatedly for proof or evidence to to support his stance on Remington firearms, and so far none has been forthcoming.

any company that mass produces any item, whether it be a firearm, a car or a toaster, in huge quantities will produces a few that are sub-standard. it's simply the law of averages. the more they produce the more chances at making some that fail. that's why a reputable company offers a warranty on their products.

anyone can get on the internet and flame on anything they want to. but with out proof, facts or evidence to support a statement, it lacks credibility.
wizard63 Likes This