My first shotgun questions - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > My first shotgun questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 07:57 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2059 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Gratz and I hope you enjoy many long years of shooting.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:04 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaww View Post
Gratz and I hope you enjoy many long years of shooting.
I need to wait for 11 days to enjoy it.. >.< and... are the birdshots the lightest?

Old 06-19-2011, 11:37 AM   #33
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10558 Times on 4561 Posts
Likes Given: 1697

Birdshot refers to the size of the pellets in the shotshell, not the power of the shell. A light field load or trap load would be among the lighter power rounds- and they are usually loaded with fine shot- 7 1/2s, 8's, etc. There ae some "birdshot" loads that will whack the crap out of you- loads intended for Turkey Or Goose.

To help see shot sizes, here is a pic. Click to enlarge it- my computer insists on shrinking pics for some reason-

shot_sizes.jpg

Old 06-19-2011, 02:08 PM   #34

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Congrats on the purchase. It should last you a long time.
To help you with the ammo, shells are sold with the gauge listed first, length of shell next (2 3/4, 3, etc.), weight load of shot (1oz, 1 1/8, 1 1/4, etc.) shot size, and dram equivalent. Game loads are usually 3 1/4 dram eq. Higher numbers in shot mean smaller actual size of the pellet.

I know guys who will shoot clay with as small as 9 shot to get more pellets into the pattern. I only shoot for fun and use whatever I have around usually no. 8. Sometimes high brass pheasant loads if we are playing knockout and a long shot might be needed.

Enjoy.

Last edited by fireguy; 06-19-2011 at 05:37 PM.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:17 PM   #35
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2474 Times on 1326 Posts
Likes Given: 879

11 days!? Wow. That's nuts.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 06-19-2011, 11:08 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Birdshot refers to the size of the pellets in the shotshell, not the power of the shell. A light field load or trap load would be among the lighter power rounds- and they are usually loaded with fine shot- 7 1/2s, 8's, etc. There ae some "birdshot" loads that will whack the crap out of you- loads intended for Turkey Or Goose.

To help see shot sizes, here is a pic. Click to enlarge it- my computer insists on shrinking pics for some reason-

Attachment 29785
Thanks, I printed it out already lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
Congrats on the purchase. It should last you a long time.
To help you with the ammo, shells are sold with the gauge listed first, length of shell next (2 3/4, 3, etc.), weight load of shot (1oz, 1 1/8, 1 1/4, etc.) shot size, and dram equivalent. Game loads are usually 3 1/4 dram eq. Higher numbers in shot mean smaller actual size of the pellet.

I know guys who will shoot clay with as small as 9 shot to get more pellets into the pattern. I only shoot for fun and use whatever I have around usually no. 8. Sometimes high brass pheasant loads if we are playing knockout and a long shot might be needed.

Enjoy.
Thanks, I will ask my friends which one they were using last time hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
11 days!? Wow. That's nuts.
yes.. I'm going buts lol