My first shotgun questions - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > My first shotgun questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2011, 03:53 AM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9166 Times on 3958 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

over and under- or o/u shotgun (click pic, it gets bigger)
over-under.jpg

Side by side (aka double barreled shotgun)

sxs-shotgun.jpg

Fitting the shotgun has a lot to do with your size- length of your arms, neck, etc. Do not know your ht/weight, but folks that use Smurfette as a screen name may not be 6 ft and 250 lbs.

For starters, the length of "pull" of the gun- traditionally, holding right hand on trigger, butt of shotgun should come to the crease of your elbow. A salesman that knows something about guns would be an immense help- which is why I mentioned finding a skeet or trap club, and paying them a visit. It also involves the height of the top of the stock, whether stock is straight left/right, or has a cast, etc. When a shotgun fits you well, when it come to your shoulder, you will naturally be looking right down the barrels.

With light field loads, recoil should not be an issue IF THE GUN FITS YOU- permitting you to have a snug fit of the gun- it pushes you instead of kicking you.

As far as choke, when you miss a bird you should have hit, it is what you want to do to the shotgun. Hey- we can't be serious all the time!
Article on choke-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choke_(firearms)

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:50 AM   #22
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2230 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 802

Mossberg, Stoeger and a few others have relatively inexpensive Over/Under shotguns. I encourage you to check them out.

I much prefer a break action shotgun like a side by side or over/under. Break action means the barrels drop down on a hinge in front of the stock to load and unload. I like being able to break the gun open and drape it across my arm to safe the weapon. You can always see if there is anything in the chamber, and so can everyone else on the course.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 06-18-2011, 11:40 AM   #23

Liked 142 Times on 109 Posts

I would advise getting a used gas operated semi auto, possibly in 20 gauge, for starters. For skeet, clays, or trap you don't need the recoil or the hassle (for a newbie) of having to pump the action for doubles. There are also 20 gauge youth models that are far more likely to fit you better, which will also make you more likely to be able to hit what you aim at, and be more comfortable.
If you get a name brand used gun like a Remington or a Beretta, and don't dog it, you will be able to get your money back down the road, if you decide you want something different after shooting for a while and forming some of your own tastes. A good used semi auto will serve you better than a cheap new pump or over and under.
Long barrels are preferred by a lot of experienced shooters and they are in vogue these days, but that doesn't mean they are right for you. That's added weight hanging out front that you will have to support. Not long ago the gun writers were touting shorter barrels, so don't discount the fashionable advice for what it is. I started shooting skeet with a 26" barrel and i still prefer it, for skeet.
Do not worry what anyone else likes - they won't be shooting your gun, you will. I have had many guns worth thousands of dollars, but I shoot clay targets with a 1963 Remington Model 1100 because I shoot it better than anything else, and it works, and I enjoy shooting it. I could care less whether it has the latest gee whiz two piece hydraulic shock absorber stock or is great for paddling a boat or beating water moccasins off. Benelli's inertia actions are not prevalent on the target ranges because they are designed primarily as hunting weapons and do nothing to alleviate recoil without a gee whiz stock. They are light, simple, and they do work.
Good luck.

What could have happened... did.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Choke is constriction at the end of the barrel or in the choke tube if you will. The amount of constriction determines how much the shot charge spreads or don't spread. A shotgun that takes choke tubes means you can have different chokes simply by changing choke tubes. A choke tube is a short steel tube that screws in the muzzle end of the barrel.
Thanks, I think the Benelli Nova takes choke tubes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
The choke is the diameter of the end of the barrel and determines how the shot spreads at various distances. Traditionally a Full choke is the smallest diameter and Cylinder bore is the largest diameter. For long shots say 40 to 45 yards, a full choke is used. A modified choke is in the middle of the range of chokes and is a good all purpose choice. The other two common chokes are Improved cylinder and improved modified.

With the advancements in screw in chokes in the past few years, specialized chokes have been introduced, such as extra full for turkey hunting. Prior to interchangeable choke tubes, it was necessary to change the entire barrel to change choke size.

Over & under refers to the vertical arrangement of a shotgun with two barrels. A side by side has the barrels in a horizontal arrangment, and is what some folks refer to as a double barreled shotgun.
Thanks, now I know what's over and under and double barrel lol
and I think I can add a choke to the Nova hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUBrowningBoy View Post
Actually...I have a Browning 425 o/u for sale...12ga. 30" Barrels. I've used it over the past year in multiple skeet, trap and sporting clays tournaments..It even got me a college scholarship to the country's best collegiate shooting team...it's served me well and I think you'd like it...only $1,400
I only work part time and my budget is under $500.. thanks for your offer
nice pic with all your shotguns.. I wish I had a shotgun, AR and handgun hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
over and under- or o/u shotgun (click pic, it gets bigger)
Attachment 29741

Side by side (aka double barreled shotgun)

Attachment 29742

Fitting the shotgun has a lot to do with your size- length of your arms, neck, etc. Do not know your ht/weight, but folks that use Smurfette as a screen name may not be 6 ft and 250 lbs.

For starters, the length of "pull" of the gun- traditionally, holding right hand on trigger, butt of shotgun should come to the crease of your elbow. A salesman that knows something about guns would be an immense help- which is why I mentioned finding a skeet or trap club, and paying them a visit. It also involves the height of the top of the stock, whether stock is straight left/right, or has a cast, etc. When a shotgun fits you well, when it come to your shoulder, you will naturally be looking right down the barrels.

With light field loads, recoil should not be an issue IF THE GUN FITS YOU- permitting you to have a snug fit of the gun- it pushes you instead of kicking you.

As far as choke, when you miss a bird you should have hit, it is what you want to do to the shotgun. Hey- we can't be serious all the time!
Article on choke-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choke_(firearms)
I'm 5"1, 89-92 pounds.. I looked at the Remington 870 and Benelli nova, both 28".. I think the Benelli is heavier. but I like the Benelli... @.@
maybe I should order a 26" instead of a 28" or even 24" I'm not sure..

I know the Benelli Super Sport fits me quite well and it didn't give me any bruises on my shoulder... I didn't think the recoil was was an issue... but it's too expensive >.< I'm not sure if the Nova will be a lot different. still deciding if I should get a Nova or Super Nova...

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Mossberg, Stoeger and a few others have relatively inexpensive Over/Under shotguns. I encourage you to check them out.

I much prefer a break action shotgun like a side by side or over/under. Break action means the barrels drop down on a hinge in front of the stock to load and unload. I like being able to break the gun open and drape it across my arm to safe the weapon. You can always see if there is anything in the chamber, and so can everyone else on the course.
Thanks, but I kinda prefer the straight kind instead of the one that drops down..hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
I would advise getting a used gas operated semi auto, possibly in 20 gauge, for starters. For skeet, clays, or trap you don't need the recoil or the hassle (for a newbie) of having to pump the action for doubles. There are also 20 gauge youth models that are far more likely to fit you better, which will also make you more likely to be able to hit what you aim at, and be more comfortable.
If you get a name brand used gun like a Remington or a Beretta, and don't dog it, you will be able to get your money back down the road, if you decide you want something different after shooting for a while and forming some of your own tastes. A good used semi auto will serve you better than a cheap new pump or over and under.
Long barrels are preferred by a lot of experienced shooters and they are in vogue these days, but that doesn't mean they are right for you. That's added weight hanging out front that you will have to support. Not long ago the gun writers were touting shorter barrels, so don't discount the fashionable advice for what it is. I started shooting skeet with a 26" barrel and i still prefer it, for skeet.
Do not worry what anyone else likes - they won't be shooting your gun, you will. I have had many guns worth thousands of dollars, but I shoot clay targets with a 1963 Remington Model 1100 because I shoot it better than anything else, and it works, and I enjoy shooting it. I could care less whether it has the latest gee whiz two piece hydraulic shock absorber stock or is great for paddling a boat or beating water moccasins off. Benelli's inertia actions are not prevalent on the target ranges because they are designed primarily as hunting weapons and do nothing to alleviate recoil without a gee whiz stock. They are light, simple, and they do work.
Good luck.
What's the difference between a 12 and a 20 guage?
Yes I kinda want a 26" but most stores in my area carry the 28" and I find it kinda heavy.... I guess I have to do some weight lifting in the 10 days waiting period LOL

Old 06-18-2011, 01:17 PM   #25

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

The difference between 12 and 20 ga is over rated. A good shooter is not handicapped by the smaller shot load in a 20 gauge shell. Getting that gun up in the right place, looking correctly down the barrel, swing, and followthrough are all more important than shot load. Coincidentally, none of these things have even a tiny relationship to gauge, it is all gun fit for the shooter, proper stance, starting point with relation to the flight of the bird, and ability to hold and control the shotgun.

A shot with the proper lead, on-line will break the clay with a 20 just as a shot with a 12 will. Only at very high level of competition will it make a difference.

20 gauge shotguns are generally much lighter with a noticeably lower recoil. I have a Weatherby O/U 20 ga. that I love to shoot. If you can you should give a 20 a chance. You might also try youth model shotguns, they have shorter stocks and usually shorter barrels. 870 Express youth models are inexpensive pump guns, we have one that my wife shoots clay with.
Good luck.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 06-18-2011, 02:58 PM   #26

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 304

for $500 your best bet will be a used gas gun...probably 20 gauge.

can't go wrong with a Remington 1100.
Remington 1100 20 gauge BLK synth/matte blue : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

also...I work part time...and I may be a bit more into the sport than you...but I worked my ass of for my new zoli which ran me $3,200.

If you want something...you can get it

Old 06-18-2011, 08:13 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
The difference between 12 and 20 ga is over rated. A good shooter is not handicapped by the smaller shot load in a 20 gauge shell. Getting that gun up in the right place, looking correctly down the barrel, swing, and followthrough are all more important than shot load. Coincidentally, none of these things have even a tiny relationship to gauge, it is all gun fit for the shooter, proper stance, starting point with relation to the flight of the bird, and ability to hold and control the shotgun.

A shot with the proper lead, on-line will break the clay with a 20 just as a shot with a 12 will. Only at very high level of competition will it make a difference.

20 gauge shotguns are generally much lighter with a noticeably lower recoil. I have a Weatherby O/U 20 ga. that I love to shoot. If you can you should give a 20 a chance. You might also try youth model shotguns, they have shorter stocks and usually shorter barrels. 870 Express youth models are inexpensive pump guns, we have one that my wife shoots clay with.
Good luck.
Thanks I'm kinda into Benelli.. thinking if I should get the Nova or Super Nova... 28" it seems heavier than the Remington 870 but I still like it cuz I love Italian stuff lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUBrowningBoy View Post
for $500 your best bet will be a used gas gun...probably 20 gauge.

can't go wrong with a Remington 1100.
Remington 1100 20 gauge BLK synth/matte blue : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

also...I work part time...and I may be a bit more into the sport than you...but I worked my ass of for my new zoli which ran me $3,200.

If you want something...you can get it
The process is kinda confusing to get a used one.. and I don't like to wait lol $3,200 is very expensive lol If I have enough, I will get the Benelli Super Sport. that one is pretty nice too..

Old 06-19-2011, 02:45 AM   #28

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

You might keep an eye on armslist.com for used guns. I looked at Kali, and it didn't seem nearly as busy as KS is, but there are some shotguns listed.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 06-19-2011, 07:35 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
You might keep an eye on armslist.com for used guns. I looked at Kali, and it didn't seem nearly as busy as KS is, but there are some shotguns listed.
I don't feel comfy buying used guns cuz i'm not familiar with guns..hehe.. Thanks BTW

Old 06-19-2011, 07:36 AM   #30

I just bought the Benelli Nova Field with 28" barrel LOL it comes with two choke tubes, but I didn't look at them cuz they didn't let me take a look.. and I didn't ask. I will wait. but 11 days @.@ I'm so excited. I want my baby shotty right now >.<