My first shotgun questions - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > My first shotgun questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011, 07:22 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 311 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Used to shoot trap and skeet when I was younger. Had older Browning 425 O/U. Also had used inexpensive Winchester 1400 gas gun in the early 1970's for this. Got back into skeet and sporting clays for a couple of years starting in 2006. Bought Beretta AL391 Urika Optima field / target 12 ga., 28" barrel gas gun in 2006. Not sure what the current Beretta model equivilant is.

This shotgun holds 2 in the tube magazine and one in the chamber for a total of three rounds only. Perfect for trap and skeet games. Will cycle 2-3/4" AA trap and skeet ammunition actually gas system is somewhat designed for the lighter load AA ammunition.

I find this shotgun to be well balanced for trap and skeet but a bit too light in weight for good follow through. All in all however, this is a great gas shotgun for entry level and a bit beyond trap and skeet games.

Looking to getting another Browing O/U shotgun model # 625 Citori XS Skeet. Mostly becuause I'm used to the older Browning version model # 425. This shotgun is heavier in a good way as it allows for more smoother, precise follow through.

I've played trap and skeet with pump shotguns, but find that I perfer a O/U or gas gun for these games with a O/U gun being my first choice.

Benelli is good stuff and if I were looking at their brand for trap & skeet guns I would be looking at their Sport II or Legacy Sport clay guns.

Last edited by mrm14; 06-17-2011 at 07:37 PM.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:46 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8834 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

All other things being equal- the perceived recoil from a semi auto will be less than from an over/ under, or a pump. The real key to accuracy, and taming recoil, is that the shotgun must fit you. It it fits, it will point where you are pointing/ looking, and you will break clays.

The barrel length (within reason) does not control the size of the shot pattern as much as the choke does. But a longer gun will have a different swing and sight radius. With modern shotshells, they max out velocity in the first 20 inches of barrel. for trap & skeet, you will be using light loaded 2 3/4 inch shells- the magnums are for reaching out to geese, high flying ducks, etc.

There have been a lot of lady skeet shooters that have done well with an over and under that fits them- and a decent recoil pad does not hurt. See if there is a range you can visit, and borrow or rent a gun or two to try. Would offer to let you come along with one of my granddaughters, but yer on the wrong coast. See if the is a skeet or trap club out your way that you could visit- most shooters will offer help to new shooters- but if you meet a jerk, ignore them, go elsewhere.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:04 PM   #13

Liked 311 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 27

c3,with the lighter AA trap & skeet load ammunition, I don't think recoil will be much of an issue. The biggest issue that I think she'll have to deal with is having the shotgun fit to her.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:05 PM   #14

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

As far as barrel lengths go,there isn't much difference in performance from 18" on up to 30",but for skeet shooting,you want a longer barrel because it has more weight and will swing slower and smoother,the short barrels will overshoot your target because it will swing too fast.But your main thing shouldn't be make and model of gun as much as it should be what choke your barrel has,you would want a tight choke.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 06-17-2011, 11:33 PM   #15

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You want a tight choke for trap shooting. For skeet you want an open choke.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 06-18-2011, 02:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
Animals are very tasty! I love them too!
Thanks for all the info, they are really helpful I'm not sure how is it considered fitting me.. I will look at the Benelli Nova Field 28" and tactical 18.5" later night.. and also the Benelli M1 my friend has...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake15 View Post
One thing fireguy didn't mention about barrel length is that a shorter barrel will have a wider shot pattern the farther out the target is, which may sound good, but a lot of times isn't because on a farther shot those little clay pigeons have a way of getting through holes in your shot pattern. Another thing with a longer barrel is that you'll have to be more accurate on closer shots because your patter is tighter. In your case I'd go with a 26" barrel, but what you should do is try out different barrel lengths and see what works best for you.
are 26" and 28" very different? big 5 doesn't have the 26".. they need to special order it.. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
Used to shoot trap and skeet when I was younger. Had older Browning 425 O/U. Also had used inexpensive Winchester 1400 gas gun in the early 1970's for this. Got back into skeet and sporting clays for a couple of years starting in 2006. Bought Beretta AL391 Urika Optima field / target 12 ga., 28" barrel gas gun in 2006. Not sure what the current Beretta model equivilant is.

This shotgun holds 2 in the tube magazine and one in the chamber for a total of three rounds only. Perfect for trap and skeet games. Will cycle 2-3/4" AA trap and skeet ammunition actually gas system is somewhat designed for the lighter load AA ammunition.

I find this shotgun to be well balanced for trap and skeet but a bit too light in weight for good follow through. All in all however, this is a great gas shotgun for entry level and a bit beyond trap and skeet games.

Looking to getting another Browing O/U shotgun model # 625 Citori XS Skeet. Mostly becuause I'm used to the older Browning version model # 425. This shotgun is heavier in a good way as it allows for more smoother, precise follow through.

I've played trap and skeet with pump shotguns, but find that I perfer a O/U or gas gun for these games with a O/U gun being my first choice.

Benelli is good stuff and if I were looking at their brand for trap & skeet guns I would be looking at their Sport II or Legacy Sport clay guns.
The Benelli Sport II is too expensive for me as a beginner lol what's Over and Under? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
All other things being equal- the perceived recoil from a semi auto will be less than from an over/ under, or a pump. The real key to accuracy, and taming recoil, is that the shotgun must fit you. It it fits, it will point where you are pointing/ looking, and you will break clays.

The barrel length (within reason) does not control the size of the shot pattern as much as the choke does. But a longer gun will have a different swing and sight radius. With modern shotshells, they max out velocity in the first 20 inches of barrel. for trap & skeet, you will be using light loaded 2 3/4 inch shells- the magnums are for reaching out to geese, high flying ducks, etc.

There have been a lot of lady skeet shooters that have done well with an over and under that fits them- and a decent recoil pad does not hurt. See if there is a range you can visit, and borrow or rent a gun or two to try. Would offer to let you come along with one of my granddaughters, but yer on the wrong coast. See if the is a skeet or trap club out your way that you could visit- most shooters will offer help to new shooters- but if you meet a jerk, ignore them, go elsewhere.
What's Over and Under? I don't know how to tell if one fits me or not.. and, what's choke? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
c3,with the lighter AA trap & skeet load ammunition, I don't think recoil will be much of an issue. The biggest issue that I think she'll have to deal with is having the shotgun fit to her.
Agree, trying to find out how to tell if one fits me or not..hehe thanks! and yes, I didn't thinkt he recoil was a program when I was shooting the first time with the Remington 870 and Benelli Super Sport...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
As far as barrel lengths go,there isn't much difference in performance from 18" on up to 30",but for skeet shooting,you want a longer barrel because it has more weight and will swing slower and smoother,the short barrels will overshoot your target because it will swing too fast.But your main thing shouldn't be make and model of gun as much as it should be what choke your barrel has,you would want a tight choke.
What do you mean choke? is the Benelli Nova Field has a good choke? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
You want a tight choke for trap shooting. For skeet you want an open choke.
Again, what is choke? @.@ Thanks!

Old 06-18-2011, 02:52 AM   #17

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Choke is constriction at the end of the barrel or in the choke tube if you will. The amount of constriction determines how much the shot charge spreads or don't spread. A shotgun that takes choke tubes means you can have different chokes simply by changing choke tubes. A choke tube is a short steel tube that screws in the muzzle end of the barrel.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 06-18-2011, 02:55 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1195 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 496

The choke is the diameter of the end of the barrel and determines how the shot spreads at various distances. Traditionally a Full choke is the smallest diameter and Cylinder bore is the largest diameter. For long shots say 40 to 45 yards, a full choke is used. A modified choke is in the middle of the range of chokes and is a good all purpose choice. The other two common chokes are Improved cylinder and improved modified.

With the advancements in screw in chokes in the past few years, specialized chokes have been introduced, such as extra full for turkey hunting. Prior to interchangeable choke tubes, it was necessary to change the entire barrel to change choke size.

Over & under refers to the vertical arrangement of a shotgun with two barrels. A side by side has the barrels in a horizontal arrangment, and is what some folks refer to as a double barreled shotgun.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:10 AM   #19

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfette View Post
P.S. I will only do skeet/trap shooting.. prolly weekly. I'm not shooting any animal cuz I love animals @.@
Actually...I have a Browning 425 o/u for sale...12ga. 30" Barrels. I've used it over the past year in multiple skeet, trap and sporting clays tournaments..It even got me a college scholarship to the country's best collegiate shooting team...it's served me well and I think you'd like it...only $1,400

Old 06-18-2011, 03:14 AM   #20

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUBrowningBoy View Post
Actually...I have a Browning 425 o/u for sale...12ga. 30" Barrels. I've used it over the past year in multiple skeet, trap and sporting clays tournaments..It even got me a college scholarship to the country's best collegiate shooting team...it's served me well and I think you'd like it...only $1,400
Sorry about the poor picture...it's the 4th one from the bottom with the red and gold chokes in it.