Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   My first shotgun questions (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/my-first-shotgun-questions-43979/)

Smurfette 06-17-2011 08:47 AM

My first shotgun questions

Hi, I'm new to shooting and I wanna know which shotgun will be right for me :) Ima get it this weekend or next hehe

what's the difference btwn 3" and 3.5" chamber?

What's the difference btwn 18", 24", 26" and 28" barrel?

what is tactical?

What is H2O?

Should I get the Benelli Nova, Benelli Super Nova, Benelli M1, Remington 870 Express, or Mossberg 500?

P.S. I will only do skeet/trap shooting.. prolly weekly. I'm not shooting any animal cuz I love animals @.@

winds-of-change 06-17-2011 09:48 AM

I can't really help you with any gun questions as I am new to guns, myself and really don't know anything about shotguns or rifles.

You sure are up late, do you work nights?

Smurfette 06-17-2011 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 524425)
I can't really help you with any gun questions as I am new to guns, myself and really don't know anything about shotguns or rifles.

You sure are up late, do you work nights?

I'm up late cuz I woke up late this afternoon lol and I got back from my band rehearsal and bar not long ago..
Ima sleep now cuz I need to work at 9 >.<
Sweet Dreams @.@

winds-of-change 06-17-2011 10:21 AM

I am very impressed with your gun knowledge for being so new to guns. Someone will come along soon to answer your questions.

opaww 06-17-2011 10:49 AM

Wish I could help but there are better members in the shotgun area on here then I am

fireguy 06-17-2011 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smurfette (Post 524407)
Hi, I'm new to shooting and I wanna know which shotgun will be right for me :) Ima get it this weekend or next hehe

Those are magnum loads used for hunting primarily. I don't know of common use in skeet. A barrel chambered in 3" will shoot 2 3/4" shells and should do all you want it to.

Barrel length contributes to the ease of a swing, with a shorter barrel generally being easier to start in motion, think inertia: less mass, easier to start, more mass easier to maintain, i.e. helps with swing and follow through.

what is tactical?

Tactical is used in defensive or offensive threat mitigation. Usually unobtrusive finish, like matte black, or even various camo patterns. Higher magazine capacity, shorter barrel to facilitate use in close quarters (CQB= close quarters battle). Rails for optics or lights, optics or ghost ring sights.

What is H2O?

That is a model of Benneli shotgun. Made of wet atmosphere with stainless construction. Special purpose.
Impact Guns - Benelli Nova H2O Pump 12g 18.5" Nickel

Should I get the Benelli Nova, Benelli Super Nova, Benelli M1, Remington 870 Express, or Mossberg 500?

Get what you can afford. Whichever model you can get to fit, or make fit. Skeet shooting at a high level requires a well fitted shotgun, perhaps even customizing the stock to get the right fit. Length of pull, simply put, the length of the rear stock is absolutely going to be a difficult problem for you to solve with your small size. I would suggest a shorter barrel, like a 26" would be easy for you to handle. Have you considered a double? Might be just the ticket for you, although possibly more expensive. Most shotguns are sold now with removeable choke tubes, look for that feature to tailor the gun to the conditions. Good luck.
P.S. I will only do skeet/trap shooting.. prolly weekly. I'm not shooting any animal cuz I love animals @.@

Animals are very tasty! I love them too!

Jake15 06-17-2011 04:08 PM

One thing fireguy didn't mention about barrel length is that a shorter barrel will have a wider shot pattern the farther out the target is, which may sound good, but a lot of times isn't because on a farther shot those little clay pigeons have a way of getting through holes in your shot pattern. Another thing with a longer barrel is that you'll have to be more accurate on closer shots because your patter is tighter. In your case I'd go with a 26" barrel, but what you should do is try out different barrel lengths and see what works best for you.

Zhenya 06-17-2011 07:03 PM

Well, I'm slightly ignorant about shotguns and I might have some questions about them.

fireguy 06-17-2011 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhenya (Post 524646)
Well, I'm slightly ignorant about shotguns and I might have some questions about them.

Start a thread and ask away! My wife is of Welsh descent. Welcome to FTF!

stalkingbear 06-17-2011 08:16 PM

I'll give it a shot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smurfette (Post 524407)

The 3" and 3.5" is the length of the fired shell in length. For skeet & trap shooting tou won't need a "magnum" (3" & 3.5"). You'll just need a 2 3/4" shell for your purposes.
The length of barrel. Again for trap & skeet you'll want a longer barrel. The longer barrel will swing better.
what is tactical?
Tactical is when a shotgun is set up for defense/combat. It may have a shorter barrel and increased capacity.
What is H2O?
H2O means the shotgun is more rust resistant than most sporting shotguns and was designed to be around water without rusting as easy.
Only you can decide that. What you need to do is handle the different 1s and see which fits you the best.