my first semi-auto shotgun - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > my first semi-auto shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5651 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
What kind/brand/size of stock is it?
i have no idea it came with the gun. its called american length stock vs asian length. found that after a bit of looking. evidently asian length denotes the standard short stock common on ak47. its longer than the length of a basic rifle sized A1 or A2 ar15 buttstock. really poor choice to put on that gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Better take a hard look at the Dillon 900 shotshell reloader!
lol i dont shoot that much shotgun. since the wife has to go with to run the skeet tosser we go only a few times a year.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 07-06-2012 at 10:39 PM.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

wife and i went to the range this morning. took the saiga for some clays and spent most of 3 boxes getting the tac47 autoplug to the right setting. it finally ended up being screwed fully in and was still not cycling. i was getting pretty disgusted and was thinking about just putting the stock plug in then all of a sudden it started functioning perfectly. GAME ON!! i think it just needed a little shooting to start working.

sorry i didnt take video tis session but it was so bloody hot and humid it was all we had energy for was tuning it and shooting 100 birds. next time wont be till begning of august as i need to do some load development for the mcmiller iron 50 classic battle rifle shoot on the 22nd

i had the polychoke set for extra full and the red dot vortex sparc ontop. i was always skeptical about how a rds would work on a shotgun... let me tell you its amazing!! i couldnt miss!! just put the dot on the clay pull the trigger and it was dust!! no trying to pick up the tiny bead, no lining anything up at all just dot-bird-boom.

it did make a stir with some of the geezer crowd i found it totally amusing. my wife was having a hard time not busting out laughing at them lol.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #13

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Awesome Saiga Jon! Thought you already had a tube fed semi-auto zombie shotgun but I may be wrong. I've been wondering if a rds would work for sporting clays, obviously it does

Old 07-09-2012, 01:12 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksiR View Post
Awesome Saiga Jon! Thought you already had a tube fed semi-auto zombie shotgun but I may be wrong. I've been wondering if a rds would work for sporting clays, obviously it does
nope i had a SxS and two pumps a 590a1 and a 835 both mossbergs. im not a great clay pigeon shooter but the rds was like cheating.

after doing some reading i found that the main issue with saigas not cycling is obscured gas ports and or undersized gas port holes. i inspected mine closely and i could only see 2 and a half holes.

after much struggle i got the gas block off and there are 4 holes!! two where completely obscured. first thing im going to try is drilling out the gasblock port hole and see if freeing up the rest of the gas holes works. if that doesnt get it to cycle with a more normal plug setting ill enlarge the holes to 5/64 each which is apparently the correct size for each hole on a 4 port gun.

gotta love drunken russians building guns lol.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #15

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Ok, I must've thought of somebody else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
gotta love drunken russians building guns lol.
The good thing about russian made stuff is that you can usually fix them with a hammer and a flat head screwdriver, or in this case a small drill bit

Old 07-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksiR View Post
Ok, I must've thought of somebody else.

The good thing about russian made stuff is that you can usually fix them with a hammer and a flat head screwdriver, or in this case a small drill bit
actually thats almost exactly the tools i used!! a hammer and a big screw driver lol!!