Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > My First(ish) Shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 05:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default My First(ish) Shotgun

Alright guys, I love these threads so I figured I'd go ahead and start one. I plan on buying the shotgun no later than a month from now. I plan on spending up to $500 on it (I know, not much...but I'm a college student only getting paid by research). The shotguns I've been looking at were a Remington Model 1100, Remington 870 here, a Mossberg 535, and an Investarm 12GA overunder. I've been looking at 12GA, but I wouldn't mind a 20GA (mostly because of my girlfriend). I want it as a mainly skeet/trap gun. It will sit by my nightstand, but the focus WILL be breaking little orange clay disks.

I say that this is my first-ish shotgun because although I've never owned a shotgun, I've shot a shotgun of every action so I can get used to anything...but I've never shot anything so often that I'm used to it. Anywho, let me know what you think.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-06-2011, 05:58 AM   #2

Liked 76 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 81

All good shotguns, also may want to give a look into Stoeger O/U's

Stoeger Over & Unders

Old 06-06-2011, 06:47 AM   #3

Liked 253 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 137

The Benelli Nova is an awesome shotty as well.

Be careful who's toes you step on today....'cause they could be connected to the a** you need to kiss tomorrow.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #4

Liked 707 Times on 455 Posts
Likes Given: 227

My first choice would be the Remington 870. Nothing is as durable.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Honstly, a Mossy 500 is about all anyone would need unless going for the high dollar "Im rich and I shoot clay pigeons" type of thing. No offense intended, I understand the desire for a really nice shotty, I have the same desire, but as a start out "my first shotgun" type thing, you cant go wrong with a Mossy.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #6

Liked 128 Times on 98 Posts

A Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870 will certainly serve, but I would go with a Model 1100 if you want to kill clay pigeons. If you get an LT20, you can pick up a Youth stock that may fit your lady's stature a little better easily as well. I have been shooting one for 48 years so I am a bit prejudiced, but they are good guns and the light recoil is great for shooting targets.
I would not get an inexpensive O/U just so I could say I have one. I don't like O/Us anyway, but if you do, I would wait until I could afford a good one. There is more to a good one than just going 'Bang!' when you pull the trigger.

What could have happened... did.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:32 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Man, I keep forgetting about the Nova!! I keep looking at it, then looking at something else slightly more expensive over and over until I'm looking at $2000 and then I start over and ignore Benellis all together.

I was looking at the Stoeger, but for the cost is it worth it? I mean, would you rather have a Stoeger O/U or a Benelli Nova?

This is a dumb question, but what's the benefit of an over/under?

Old 06-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cddbrowns View Post
Honstly, a Mossy 500 is about all anyone would need unless going for the high dollar "Im rich and I shoot clay pigeons" type of thing. No offense intended, I understand the desire for a really nice shotty, I have the same desire, but as a start out "my first shotgun" type thing, you cant go wrong with a Mossy.
Hey, I would've said the EXACT same thing two weeks ago...but I walked into my LGS and they had a Mossy 500. I racked it a couple of times, and it felt okay. Then he pulled out a Benelli and asked what I thought of the feel, it really was an incredible difference. It was a brand new Mossberg 500 and a used Benelli, and the Benelli felt SOO much more solid. Of course, it WAS the $1300 model...but that's besides the point. I understand the allure of going up to and around $1000 for a shotgun, but all those Krieghoffs and Berettas fall into that buying it just to buy it regime.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:51 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 314 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 63

The Bennelli Nova's run from $399-$499 by me. That is the pump model.

If I were buying a new shotgun and it was going to my only one as a do a little of everything gun, I would first look at the Bennelli, Rem 870 then the Mossy 500. I would exclude everyother action but the pump. Possibly, a single shot if my budget was only $200. With a budget of $500, the Bennelli would be what I would buy.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:00 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've found the 28" version cheap online, under $400. I think I'm making a soft decision on it. If someone else can chime in with a better option, let me know!