My first firearm...what should I get?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > My first firearm...what should I get?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2010, 04:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default My first firearm...what should I get?

This has probably been asked before, I'm sure. I would like a gun for home defence. I'm trying to keep the budget below $400. What would be my best choice... handgun or shotgun? I live in a single family home and have two small children. My wife is not really crazy about guns so she will most likely not want to shoot. Thanks in advance for the input.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-18-2010, 05:39 PM   #2

This is always a tough one, but since it's mainly home defense you're talking about, I'd probably vote shotgun. Less chance of shooting through a wall and hitting something unintended on the other side, simple "point and click" interface, the ability to load different types of shotgun shells...I feel like for home defense there's not much better. Plus there's the deterrent of "clack-clack" that might even save you the trouble of having to shoot anyone.

At that price, and this is just my opinion, something like an NEF Pardner Protector 12 gauge pump shotgun might make nice choice. Simple, reliable, upgradeable and darn affordable. I have seen them up here in Virginia for around 200 bucks.

Just my thoughts!

http://www.joshuasilverman.com

Old 06-18-2010, 05:48 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Whatever you choose you have to keep it locked away from your kids. I usually recommended a shotgun for the only firearm to be used as home defense. But with kids a revolver locked in a bio safe may be a better choice. As for what revolver, go to a range that rents and try out a few. I would go for the largest caliber you are comfortable shooting. You may also want to look into home defense loads. They knock down bad guys but won't go through walls and hurt family members.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:15 PM   #4

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

This double post is annoying. Could a mod merge these 2 or something?

Note to self, Yankee, choose a sub-forum and go with it. Everyone here with ideas you want to value (not including myself, BTW) keep track of all the posts through "New Posts".

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 06-18-2010, 06:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
This double post is annoying. Could a mod merge these 2 or something?

Note to self, Yankee, choose a sub-forum and go with it. Everyone here with ideas you want to value (not including myself, BTW) keep track of all the posts through "New Posts".
Sorry for the double post. Newb mistake.