Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > My 1st Shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 517 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Default My 1st Shotgun

Bought a Mossberg 500 yesterday. It has a 18.5" ported barrel, ghost ring sights, 6 position collapsible stock w/a 5 shell holder, pistol grip, and a fancy little strap to keep your hand attached to the pump, haha.

12 Ga of course. I haven't had a chance to fire it. I will tomorrow.

The only thing that annoys me is the action locking lever is kind of awkward to operate when the gun is shouldered. I have to bring the gun off my shoulder and move my shooting hand a little. It shouldn't be a problem when I am actually shooting right?

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a replacement one that is extended or easier to operate? I googled but my google ninja skills are a little rusty.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

readygirl Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-28-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1149 Times on 640 Posts
Likes Given: 458

You only need to push the bolt release lever when time load/unload or clear the chamber. Upon squeezing the trigger, the bolt is also released.

Dry fire a few times to get a better understanding of the gun's operation.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:59 PM   #3

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

I cant imagine a practical need to release the slide for a home defense situation. You're not going to need to do any slug change overs or anything like that. If this is a competition gun, just practice loading the thing normally before you worry about something minute like this. Loading a shotgun fast is HARD.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 04-28-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
You only need to push the bolt release lever when time load/unload or clear the chamber. Upon squeezing the trigger, the bolt is also released.

Dry fire a few times to get a better understanding of the gun's operation.
I have dry fired and I understand the operation, I was simply asking because I just really don't like the way the lever works.

The only thing I can think of for needing to manually cycle the slide like that is if the primer in the shell is bad and it fails to fire. I know, like a one in a million chance.

Still, if anyone knows of where to find something that is perhaps more ergonomic. If not then I guess I can just deal

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 04-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf View Post
I have dry fired and I understand the operation, I was simply asking because I just really don't like the way the lever works.

The only thing I can think of for needing to manually cycle the slide like that is if the primer in the shell is bad and it fails to fire. I know, like a one in a million chance.

Still, if anyone knows of where to find something that is perhaps more ergonomic. If not then I guess I can just deal
The breach unlocks when the hammer drops, not when the shell goes off. Even if you have a bad shell, just shuck it as if it did go off.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 04-28-2013, 10:47 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan View Post
The breach unlocks when the hammer drops, not when the shell goes off. Even if you have a bad shell, just shuck it as if it did go off.
Oh dang! *Palm-to-face*

Now I feel like a complete moron. Totally did not think about that.

Well I am going to blame that brain fart on the fact that it has been years since I shot a shotgun.

Maybe Biden is right, anything other than a double barreled shotgun is too difficult to operate.....YEAH RIGHT!

Old 04-28-2013, 11:08 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=205874

You can make an extension, but I ain't that bothered by mine. The PG part of my stock does make it more awkward.

edit* This guy sells them; email in thread. http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=345030

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 04-28-2013 at 11:12 PM.
fa35jsf Likes This 
Old 04-28-2013, 11:46 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks orangello, I emailed the guy to inquire about one. It should make operation a little easier, especially for my soon to be wife with her tiny hands.

Oh did I mention, I haven't exactly told her about this purchase (or the AR upper for that matter). Looks like it's time to buy her something NICE to soften the beating I am going to take.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:07 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Wine; get her some good wine.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf View Post
Oh dang! *Palm-to-face*

Now I feel like a complete moron. Totally did not think about that.
When words fail to describe how stupid what you just said was, there is face palm.

Terry V Ohio Commentary
fa35jsf Likes This