My 100 year old shotgun (see Photo) - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > My 100 year old shotgun (see Photo)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 10:31 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Nice gun, and hard to find too. This was the only humpback shotgun with the Winchester name. Designed by T C Johnson, Winchester was trying to keep pace with the Browning A5.
The model 1911 ended in 1925 after selling 83000 guns.
It was then redesigned and introduced as the model 40, without the hump.
Although the book prices reflect the 1911 as unpopular and therefore the prices are low, but these guns will bring a better that book value price due to the collectors seeking the only humpback shotgun with the Winchester name.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:02 AM   #12

Liked 185 Times on 136 Posts

Winchester couldn't put an operating handle on it because of Browning's patents, hence the workaround they came up with. Winchester passed up the opportunity to acquire the rights to make the Browning patent autoloader, even though he gave them the first shot, after several successful collaborations with Mister Browning before that. No doubt they had many regrets, as they played catch up in the semiautoloading shotgun market for decades after that.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:39 PM   #13

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Default Nice old gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter View Post
About 20 years ago I did someone a favor, in return he gave me an old shotgun that his uncle gave him. It was a 1911 Winchester auto loading 12 gauge. It was not in the best of condition, but the bore was like new. It was Winchesters first auto loading shotgun. I took it apart, cleaned, checked and polished major parts. I did some work on the stock and forward hand grip. Then cold blued the entire shotgun myself. It was a lot of work but fun.
You will note in one picture that the barrel has a knurled area on it. You had to pull the barrel back-wards into the housing to cycle a shell into the chamber and this was your hand grip. There was no breach lever. Some placed the gun on the ground and pushed down with two hands. This is how the shot gun got its name "the widow maker". It was the BIGGEST MISTAKE WINCHESTER EVER MADE.
Look it up on the net, there is a good story about it. I would never use it, but its good to have as conversational piece in my collection of guns.
[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]Attachment 44351[/ATTACH][/ATTAC
H][/ATTACH]
I own a few old winchester model 12 shotguns and they can still be shot. I have a Winchester model 1897 that my papaw gave to me before he passed away.