Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   My 100 year old shotgun (see Photo) (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/my-100-year-old-shotgun-see-photo-63154/)

Dearhunter 04-24-2012 01:29 AM

My 100 year old shotgun (see Photo)

4 Attachment(s)
About 20 years ago I did someone a favor, in return he gave me an old shotgun that his uncle gave him. It was a 1911 Winchester auto loading 12 gauge. It was not in the best of condition, but the bore was like new. It was Winchesters first auto loading shotgun. I took it apart, cleaned, checked and polished major parts. I did some work on the stock and forward hand grip. Then cold blued the entire shotgun myself. It was a lot of work but fun.
You will note in one picture that the barrel has a knurled area on it. You had to pull the barrel back-wards into the housing to cycle a shell into the chamber and this was your hand grip. There was no breach lever. Some placed the gun on the ground and pushed down with two hands. This is how the shot gun got its name "the widow maker". It was the BIGGEST MISTAKE WINCHESTER EVER MADE.
Look it up on the net, there is a good story about it. I would never use it, but its good to have as conversational piece in my collection of guns.
[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]Attachment 44351[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

akers06 04-24-2012 01:36 AM

My dad has one of these guns....they are not dangerous as long as your not stupid about it....my dad uses his for squirrels, rabbits, upland birds, and is gonna try to get a turkey with it this year....I have shot skeet with it before....it is a really nice gun

akers06 04-24-2012 01:37 AM

Also my dads is in really good condition we ran the serial numbers and it came back made it 1918....it is worth around $800

Dearhunter 04-24-2012 02:26 AM

100 year old shotgun

The serial numbre on mine is in the 4000 range, it has an A over the serial number. Where can you check the numbers?

akers06 04-24-2012 02:38 AM

My dad found it somewhere...I will ask him tomorrow and let you know

Txhillbilly 04-24-2012 02:44 AM

That's a good looking ole scattergun.You did a good job on it.

My favorite shotgun is a 1906 Remington Auto-loader.It's a Browning A5,that J.M.Browning sold Remington the copyrights to manufacture.Remington later changed the name to the Model 11.
I hunt with it every year,it is built like a tank,and it'll still be shooting when a lot of the newer guns are too broke to fix/shoot anymore.I also hunt with a 1930's Savage 520 Humpback pump shotguns.It also is a Browning designed shotgun,and built like a tank.

Txhillbilly 04-24-2012 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dearhunter (Post 780277)
The serial numbre on mine is in the 4000 range, it has an A over the serial number. Where can you check the numbers?

Email Winchester,They should be able to give you info on the manufacture date of the gun.

akers06 04-24-2012 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Txhillbilly
That's a good looking ole scattergun.You did a good job on it.

My favorite shotgun is a 1906 Remington Auto-loader.It's a Browning A5,that J.M.Browning sold Remington the copyrights to manufacture.Remington later changed the name to the Model 11.
I hunt with it every year,it is built like a tank,and it'll still be shooting when a lot of the newer guns are too broke to fix/shoot anymore.I also hunt with a 1930's Savage 520 Humpback pump shotguns.It also is a Browning designed shotgun,and built like a tank.

I use to have an old hump back savage auto that looked like the model 11s and auto fives....it shot good but my god it had a kick to it

hiwall 04-24-2012 03:05 AM

Serials in the 4000 range is second year of production 1912

akers06 04-24-2012 09:30 AM

I just talked to my dad he said his #s are 17,xxx and his was made in 1917 so 1912 sounds about right....my dad has a winchester guns book and that's how Yw looked his numbers up