Mounting a scope on a double barrel shotgun

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Mounting a scope on a double barrel shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 12:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Mounting a scope on a double barrel shotgun

My friend has a Verney Carron side-lock shotgun double-barrel. I searched the internet for a tutorial how to install scope mount in it and then mount the scope, I couldn't find any. Any help would be appreciated.

I found a thing that use a magnetic force. I don't know if its any good.

http://www.dogsanddoubles.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Verney_2.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-25-2014, 12:34 PM   #2

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 72

duct tape should work in this case

Old 02-25-2014, 12:43 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5501 Times on 2872 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Any real reason you want to scope a shotgun??

Just a bead is good to 100yds with slugs.

If it doesn't have mounts already or holes for a base you can't without ruining the gun.

And yes those magnetic things are junk

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-25-2014, 12:48 PM   #4

Liked 2108 Times on 1241 Posts
Likes Given: 457

A shotgun is not exactly a precision platform. A double barrel often has a few more quirks as far as getting both barrels to the same point of impact, relative to point if aim.

Just got to get better at calling those turkeys in closer, or scouting to get closer to the deer trails.

Which brings up the point where I ask, "what is the intended purpose of this shotgun, and what is he trying to achieve by mounting a scope?"

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 02-25-2014 at 12:51 PM.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:24 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8691 Times on 3764 Posts
Likes Given: 1336

For a side by side, the barrels are "regulated' so they both shoot to the same point of aim- at about 35-40 yds. Beyond that, the shot paths cross, grow further apart.

So you get it scoped- how do you plan to zero it, when each barrel shoots to a different point of impact?

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 02-25-2014, 09:13 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Thanks everyone!

First of all, I have to praise this community. The fact that so many people took the time to answer me is just amazing.

He usually uses his shotgun for hunting deer and such. However, what you guys said made a lot of sense. There is no point in mounting a scope on weapon with such a range. My friend just witnessed a couple of time people making really long shots kills with it, so he figured a scope could help a little. But even if those stories are right, I think human skills is a key factor in such shots. Calculating bullet trajectory and all sort of complicated things. But it stands to reason that a scope in this case won't help anyway. I guess he just thought it would look cool on them.

Thanks again everyone. Sorry for not contributing a lot. I'm a firearms enthusiast who doesn't own any guns. I like to watch and read a lot of firearms-related topic, but that's all. Weapons are not legalize here. Only hunting shotguns. And they're very expensive. I won't lose my love to guns though, things may change someday.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:31 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1748 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 899

You are contributing, by making people think. What you just asked has never crossed my mind!