Mossy 590 Trigger question

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Mossy 590 Trigger question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2010, 09:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Mossy 590 Trigger question

I was recently cleaning my Mossy 590. I removed the trigger assembly and about crapped my pants. I've attached two images with red circles around the pieces that caught my attention.

(please forgive me, I am not well versed on the inner workings of the trigger assembly, and have poor terminology) The larger of the two pieces protruding from the top (in front of the trigger) appears to cock the trigger. When the trigger is pulled, the piece snaps forward. (I cannot put the assembly back in without pushing this bar down, thereby cocking the trigger)

The smaller piece behind the trigger doesn't appear to move at all, but I don't recall ever seeing it stand up like it is.

So, whats up with my assembly? And how the eff did I get it to do this?!

please also forgive the quality of the pix, I used my cell.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-14-2010, 01:57 PM   #2

Did you remove the trigger assy. with the action open or closed?

Old 05-14-2010, 02:23 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
Did you remove the trigger assy. with the action open or closed?
For the purpose of the pictures this time, the action was closed. I unloaded the firearm, dry fired, and then proceeded to dis-assemble.

However, in the past it may be possible that the action was open. I have the Knoxx adjustable buttstock on my gun, so the first thing I have to do in order to be able to remove the assembly is to remove the buttstock. Then, out of habit, I take out the assembly.

Mainly I just want to be sure that my gun is safe to fire. Id rather not risk a KB! or worse yet have it not fire in the heat of the moment (this is my HD gun)

Old 05-16-2010, 04:55 AM   #4

falseharmonix,
Have you resolved this yet?
When I remove the trigger assy. from my shotguns I have the action closed and the trigger in the firing position. When I reinstall the trigger assy. I then dry-shoot it and work the action making sure that the bolt resets the trigger assy. into the firing position.

I believe the only way you're truly going to know if your shotgun is going to work properly after reassembly is by going to the range and trying it out.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:31 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I am able to reassemble the gun, and it appears to function normally (dry fires properly, safety functions properly, etc).

I have not taken it out to the range yet. Unfortunately my range isn't too shotgun friendly as of late. Illinois only allows deer to be taken with pistol, shotgun, and bow, so the shotgunners all came out and apparently caused more damage than usual wear and tear, so I'll have to find someplace else to fire it.

Is the larger bar that I have circled supposed to move like that when the action is cycled? Again, I have very poor understanding of the mechanics of what happens internally, so please forgive my naivete.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:22 PM   #6

Liked 154 Times on 116 Posts

I think it is fine; you I am not sure about yet. It has been a while since I read a Mossberg owner's manual, but I am almost sure it says the hammer (your large piece) has to be cocked to put the assembly in - and I also think it says to not dry fire it outside the gun, but I am not sure of the last one. Download a manual and read it. There will be a quiz.

What could have happened... did.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:37 PM   #7

Liked 90 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 25

When removing and installing the trigger group, the hammer must be in the cocked position with the safety on. It will come right out and go right back in....................

Jim.........

Old 05-17-2010, 06:27 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
I think it is fine; you I am not sure about yet. It has been a while since I read a Mossberg owner's manual, but I am almost sure it says the hammer (your large piece) has to be cocked to put the assembly in -
yes, I had to cock the hammer back in order to put the assembly back in.

As far as I can tell, the gun functions normally. I just couldn't figure out why it came out with the hammer forward like it was. I'm assuming I need to not dry-fire before removing the assembly.