Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   mossy 500 foregrip (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/mossy-500-foregrip-8682/)

jocww 11-25-2008 05:45 AM

mossy 500 foregrip

Is there a way to tighten up the foregrip on the mossberg 500 mine seems kind of loose and rattles a bit. I just bought it and am new to the world of shotguns. Sales lady said it was an easy fix she worked at big5 so I took her word with a grain of salt. Overall it seems like a nice gun.

TIA
Jon

sgtdeath66 11-25-2008 06:43 AM

grab a long medium tipped flat head screw driver and try tightening it by gently tapping in till its tighter, that should do the trick

jocww 11-26-2008 05:12 AM

can you go into more detail please.

sgtdeath66 11-26-2008 04:36 PM

sure in the front where u unscrew the barrel youll find the bolt just right infront of the foregrip with two notches. just take a flat head put it in one of those notches and tap away until it tightens up, now i cant remember if its righty tighty or lefty tighty but it shouldnt take you long to figure out. hope this helps

jocww 11-27-2008 06:15 PM

sarg i dont see any screws on the pumpslide/forgrip it seems like the 2 rails are loose or looser than my dads 870.

sgtdeath66 11-27-2008 06:21 PM

is it the rails that r loose or the grip

bkt 11-27-2008 07:17 PM

If it's the rails that seem a little loose, that may be normal for a Mossy. Every one I've seen has had a little wobble in the foregrip and made a little noise. It's not rigid like an 870. But the design is solid and reliable -- it is not a flaw or sign of a problem.

jocww 12-01-2008 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkt (Post 52837)
If it's the rails that seem a little loose, that may be normal for a Mossy. Every one I've seen has had a little wobble in the foregrip and made a little noise. It's not rigid like an 870. But the design is solid and reliable -- it is not a flaw or sign of a problem.

The rails are loose. Is there a way to tighten them up?

stalkingbear 12-26-2008 05:10 PM

It's the basic design of mossberg pump shotguns of forearm rattle. Just get used to it. That's why I don't like them/don't own any-is it gets on my nerves too much and makes them feel cheap. BUT it's that same loose forearm that makes them among the very top of reliability in pump shotguns. The mossberg to me is the AK47 version of pump shotguns. Even tho I personally don't like them, they are reliable.

Dillinger 12-26-2008 05:56 PM

I agree 100% with Stalkingbear. That is the way Mossy's are. You can probably backyard engineer something if you really wanted too, but it was designed that way and is kind of like the AK as SB pointed out. It's not the tightest tolerance weapon out there, but that also leads to some damn good reliability.

I don't own any Mossy's either - but I have shot them and they go bang when they need too.

JD