Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Mossy 500 12ga 20" ?grizzlies?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2011, 02:21 AM   #11
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1742 Times on 947 Posts
Likes Given: 547

Back in the early 60's the recommended bear gun in Alaska for fishermen and hikers was 12 guage loaded with slugs. Some recommended a #6 1st up to blind the bear and bloody the nose so you could finish with the slugs. At 10 yds #6 really does not open up that much so you better be a really good shot. The 44 mag was the big pistol at the time and got some people killed because it was not enough. As the movie said, "I kilt the bar but the bar kilt me". A 12 gauge slug has 2x the power of the 44 mag. With some shot rounds in your pocket, it also made a good survival gun.
Newer guns have come out since then like the Marlin levers and the very big cartridge revolvers are examples.
Some of the guides were carrying African doubles. They had to protect their client and needed something that would knock the bear down. The 458 WM made things a little simpler.
I was told to go for the shoulder.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 04-18-2011, 02:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli700 View Post
Nice SG ! I have been in the sights of a scared black bear and it was lightning fast. As anyone knows when shooting a bear shot placement is so important. Nothing against the PG, I had one for a while and got decent with it and have shot moving targets, grouse, with a handgun style grip but a charging bear…..I don’t know it happens so fast. Hopefully you have plenty of warning and can start taking shots at a reasonable distance and that’s where the stock is nicer, at close distance you could always hip shoot a stock in a pinch….
sorry I know it’s about ammo but don’t take charging bears lightly ….and without a doubt get the highest velocity slug you can get and use that because there is no such thing as over kill when it comes to bears. Just to be clear I'm not bashing your gear....subject just a little close to home for me
hell ya man and the only reason i went with the pistol grip is because it fits perfect in my pack on my four wheeler. it is there for anyone i am riding with. if some needs it, it is there to protect yourself with. it is stickily for protection. im sure the noise coming out of the far end of this bad boy will scare the hell out of anything plus 12 "00" pellets pelleting the hell out of the front of him... id like to think that this would hold him up a little bit or long enough to slap that slide and pound him again. I personally will always have my 500 in my shoulder rig and without a doubt in my mine i would start phucking its big grizzly bear ass up at 80 yards all the way up til its right in my face but i personally dont think any grizzly could take (5) 400gr Barnes Busters climbing out of my 8 3/8" barrel at 1897 fps with 3022 ft-lb energy. that kind of power would make even a grizzly shiver. I mean its only the worlds largest production made handgun. they may be tough but not no 5 shots of a 500 S&W mag tough.

My dear boy if 5 miles away they don't sit up in their beds and go what the HELL was that, the gun is not big enough!

Old 04-18-2011, 02:45 AM   #13

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 33

All that and allot has to do with the sloping angle of a bears head and the way they hold during a charge...unless it’s the only shot don’t shot a bear in the head that is facing you. Get the deepest penetrating ammo you can get for that SG and place them well in the chest, shoulder, neck. Even high velocity .30 cal rifles will sometimes slide right up the forehead and seriously piss him off. I bet that 500 s&w is a monster, go for the hart my brother

Last edited by oli700; 04-18-2011 at 03:19 AM.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:01 AM   #14

well i guess time will tell. it will happen eventually because they are thick over here. We have had a few REALLY close encounters, and everyone we ride with knows its a risk that comes along with the joys of riding where we do. Im not scared what will be will be. If sometime you dont see anymore posts from me read though a few Montana News Papers online and you will get the low down. Hahahah

My dear boy if 5 miles away they don't sit up in their beds and go what the HELL was that, the gun is not big enough!

Old 04-18-2011, 03:14 AM   #15

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

The 2 times I had very close encounters with bears there was no 80 yards between us. Both times mere feet were between us and both times I was armed and both times the bear broke off the encounter before I could even unlimber my gun. After talking to many people who have had bear encounters I never talked to a one that got off more than one hasty shot before they were in contact with each other.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:23 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30remchester View Post
The 2 times I had very close encounters with bears there was no 80 yards between us. Both times mere feet were between us and both times I was armed and both times the bear broke off the encounter before I could even unlimber my gun. After talking to many people who have had bear encounters I never talked to a one that got off more than one hasty shot before they were in contact with each other.
well the last two times we have encounter full size grizzlies ive had my 500 out and cocked one decided the other direction was the way to go he was about 30 yards away and the other was about 20 yards and it held its ground. standing on its hind legs and didnt want to leave so we did.

btw 80 yards is out to where i can put my shots into a 8" circle accurately.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:17 PM   #17

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

500 MAG, seems like you are having about the most fun a man can have with his pants on. Though I live in remote Colorado, I seldom get attacked by anything except jealous husbands and irate bill collecters. Wish I was back guiding again so more exitement would come my way. Anyhow let us know if you encounter the bear that bit Jim Bridgers *ss.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:40 PM   #18

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

One late vote for slugs. Black Magic 3" Slugs from Brenneke USA should level any bear.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 04-19-2011, 12:21 AM   #19

i will do. if you ever make it down to montana get a hold of me and ill show ya a few grizzlies. i personally kinda want one to charge/threaten us just once id like to see what the 'ol 500 mag will do. !!Someday!!

Old 04-20-2011, 03:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
One late vote for slugs. Black Magic 3" Slugs from Brenneke USA should level any bear.
thank you sir i will be ordering a few boxes of these bad boys.

thanks again, 500