Mossy 500 12ga 20" ?grizzlies?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Mossy 500 12ga 20" ?grizzlies?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2011, 09:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mossy 500 12ga 20" ?grizzlies?

Well i decided i had a reason to buy a Mossberg 500 Persuader 12ga with a 20" barrel, heat-shield, and a 8 round tube. My reasoning was for all the grizzlies we encounter out four wheeling. loaded with 9 rounds of "00" buckshot i think i should be able to feel a little more comfortable about running into the nasty ol bear.

My question for you guys is do you think that a 12ga with 9 rounds of "00" buckshot would do the trick?/ be the best choice at close range? Close range meaning 10-15 yards.

Thanks, 500

click the pic and it will be bigger.

12ga-001.jpg

My dear boy if 5 miles away they don't sit up in their beds and go what the HELL was that, the gun is not big enough!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-17-2011, 09:47 PM   #2

Liked 149 Times on 114 Posts

I'm no bear expert, but as Peter Capstick once said, I have read about it. I would not count on any buckshot to stop a bear, and really wouldn't like slugs either. A Marlin Guide gun in 45-70 or 450 Marlin would be my choice. I have only ever come across one bear in the wild, and my Honda XR650L seemed to scare him pretty good.

What could have happened... did.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
I'm no bear expert, but as Peter Capstick once said, I have read about it. I would not count on any buckshot to stop a bear, and really wouldn't like slugs either. A Marlin Guide gun in 45-70 or 450 Marlin would be my choice. I have only ever come across one bear in the wild, and my Honda XR650L seemed to scare him pretty good.
ya i see where your coming from but wouldn't ya think if you pounded a grizzly in the face/front as its coming at you with a 12ga with 12 "00" pellets it would phuck it up? i mean it only takes 5-7 rounds to cut down a 15" diameter tree.

My dear boy if 5 miles away they don't sit up in their beds and go what the HELL was that, the gun is not big enough!

Old 04-17-2011, 10:19 PM   #4

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Nice shottie you got there, congrats. As for the bear I would feel more comfortable using slugs and a stock for more control. Either way, stay safe and stay alert when in bear country

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 04-17-2011, 10:39 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9215 Times on 3975 Posts
Likes Given: 1441

12 g 00 buck at 10-15 yards will plant a bear. You would be surprised how fast they can close 10 yards, tho. In the time it takes you to blink.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
Nice shottie you got there, congrats. As for the bear I would feel more comfortable using slugs and a stock for more control. Either way, stay safe and stay alert when in bear country
ya i like it. it is alot easier to control then one would think. my 500 mag kicks more. but i have big hands and shoot my 500 quite a bit so a little punch doesnt really phase me much. but i get what your saying with more control. sometimes those fricken grizzlies wont be there one second and the next they are breathing down your neck. the last run in we had we stopped by the creek to cook some hot dogs and we looked down river and there was nothing to be seen a few minutes later there was a grizzly cub on the rocks down the creek so we started putting the fire out and packing up to get the hell out of there and that little **** came right across the creek from us as if it was sitting us up to be between it and mommy. then it started whining. we got out of there before momma bear found us but it is not fun to watch a grizzly cub come up stream toward you and start whining. lets just say the 500 was out and cocked ready to lay some grizzly bear ass down!

Old 04-18-2011, 12:38 AM   #7

Liked 770 Times on 446 Posts
Likes Given: 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500mag_guy View Post
ya i like it. it is alot easier to control then one would think. my 500 mag kicks more. but i have big hands and shoot my 500 quite a bit so a little punch doesnt really phase me much. but i get what your saying with more control. sometimes those fricken grizzlies wont be there one second and the next they are breathing down your neck. the last run in we had we stopped by the creek to cook some hot dogs and we looked down river and there was nothing to be seen a few minutes later there was a grizzly cub on the rocks down the creek so we started putting the fire out and packing up to get the hell out of there and that little **** came right across the creek from us as if it was sitting us up to be between it and mommy. then it started whining. we got out of there before momma bear found us but it is not fun to watch a grizzly cub come up stream toward you and start whining. lets just say the 500 was out and cocked ready to lay some grizzly bear ass down!
Maybe he just wanted a hot dog...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-18-2011, 12:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Maybe he just wanted a hot dog...
hahah mommy said no but i would have gave the lil guy one if i knew momma bear would have just left us alone hell i would have gave her one too.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:41 AM   #9

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Nice SG ! I have been in the sights of a scared black bear and it was lightning fast. As anyone knows when shooting a bear shot placement is so important. Nothing against the PG, I had one for a while and got decent with it and have shot moving targets, grouse, with a handgun style grip but a charging bear…..I don’t know it happens so fast. Hopefully you have plenty of warning and can start taking shots at a reasonable distance and that’s where the stock is nicer, at close distance you could always hip shoot a stock in a pinch….
sorry I know it’s about ammo but don’t take charging bears lightly ….and without a doubt get the highest velocity slug you can get and use that because there is no such thing as over kill when it comes to bears. Just to be clear I'm not bashing your gear....subject just a little close to home for me

Last edited by oli700; 04-18-2011 at 01:47 AM.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:12 AM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

I study this subject. It is called terminal ballistics. I have only shot coyotes with buckshot so I defer to true proffesionals like Boddington, Capstick and numerous African guides. The consencus is that any buckshot load is not a fight stopper when it comes to game. Boddington actually had 2 loads of buckshot bounce off the head of a small leapord. An African white hunter had to follow up a wounded 125# leapord. When he encountered him he gave him a good shot of 00 buck. The guide was near killed by that small cat. He said he would never use it again. You need to remember there are 12 33caliber soft lead balls with very poor ballistics coefficent and maginal power. Each pellet has less power than a 380 ACP and far less penatration and distance. As for slugs most foster slugs are made of very soft lead and there skull busting capabilities are in question. However Brenneke and Dixie offer some hard cast slugs that SHOULD be just the ticket.