Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Mossberg vs. Remington

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2007, 03:10 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I just bought a Remington 870 and love it. held the mossy at a few different stores and it just felt cheap and not as tight as the 870. For a few extra bones i went with the 870 and feel that i made the right choice.

"...Sales of the 870 have been steady. They reached 2 million guns by 1973 (ten times the number of Model 31 shotguns it replaced). By 1996, spurred by the basic "Express" model, sales topped seven million guns. The 870 holds the record for best-selling pump gun in U.S. history." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_870

Old 10-02-2007, 04:27 AM   #12

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

I've got an 870 that I've had for about 12 years now. It's worked perfectly for me with no problems since I bought it. I'll probably never buy two guns, a Mossberg or a Savage. I know there are people that swear by them, but my grandpa has been a gunsmith for 40 years and if he won't buy them neither will I.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:56 PM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have had both and for a hunting gun eather would last a life time of hard rabbit hunting. The Mossy is alittle lite so it points a hair faster, but the Rem. is better made and would hold up better if you were going to shoot trap 5 days a week. I lost my Mossy in a fire and don`t have any now, but I do have 3 870`s. But my real pick of pump guns is the Mod. 12 Win., I have 12 of them.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 10-04-2007, 03:32 AM   #14

I like the 870 Wingmaster. It was my first NEW gun. I had a friend growing up that we hunted together and he had a Mossberg. I just never liked the feel of his gun, not saying it wasn't a good gun, watched it smoke many a Wood Duck and Greenhead. I do have to say that I don't think the 870 Express is quite the quality as the Wingmaster, but I have two 20 ga 870 Express youth models for my boys. In the end it really dosen't matter what we like, it's what fits and feels good to YOU.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:03 PM   #15

I saw a Mossberg 590 at 29 Palms one day and I fell in love, so on vacation last year I bought one and it serves me very well. Ive shot both the M1014 and the 590A1 and I like the 590 much more.

It just about beats or equals remington on every level, especially on the price!

Old 02-02-2008, 07:38 PM   #16

My first shotgun was a Mossberg 500 w/28" vented rib barrel and modified choke. I bought it when I started duck hunting in the early 80's, this was before screw-in chokes. It worked OK, but felt a bit cheesy. I hated the forend rattle and the open style shell lifter that allowed swamp debris to get into the bottom of the action. The only reason I bought it was because it was cheap, so I guess you get what you pay for. I don't know how, but I managed to crack the buttstock where it meets the receiver. After 2 seasons I got rid of it. I went looking for a replacement and checked with a local gun shop that mostly dealt in military surplus arms. I bought my IBM manufactured M1 Carbine from him on an earlier visit. I asked if he had any shotguns and he pulled out a NIB Remington MP870. I had never heard of this model, but he said it wasn't a cataloged item, it was an overrun from a military contract. It had a steel receiver with an 18" ribless smoothbore barrel and a Zytel stock with a parkerized finish. As is, it wasn't exactly a duck gun, but sporter barrels with screw-in chokes were becoming popular so I went that route. The Zytel stock wasn't pretty but it proved to hold up well to the abuses of the swamp over the next 20 years, and I really beat the snot out of it, but like a timex "it takes a licking and keeps on ticking".
This is not to say that I hate Mossbergs, I actually found myself acquiring another one, but that was a deal too good to turn down. Anyone remember the company Service Merchandise? When they went out of business, they marked down all their guns 50% off. I got the last one they had for $110. I still have that one, but I hardly ever use it. I mostly use it as a loaner, and I also take it with me as a spare on my hunting trips just in case my 870 breaks. It hasn't happened yet, but it's always better to be prepared when you're far from home, because a broken gun can really ruin a hunting trip...........

"Stupidity is the most plentiful element in the universe"
.................................................. .....Frank Zappa

Old 02-02-2008, 08:16 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have sold equal amount of both the mossberg 500 and the remington 870, I have sent more 870's back for repair then i have the mossbergs

Old 02-02-2008, 08:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righteous View Post
I have sold equal amount of both the mossberg 500 and the remington 870, I have sent more 870's back for repair then i have the mossbergs
Amen, I hear that from so many gun stores.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:07 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I own a 1969 vintage 870 Wingmaster in 20 ga. that was my grandpa's and I bought my boy a Mossberg 500 combo with the 26" vent rib and fully rifled deer barrel. The Remington is definately higher quality, with it's walnut stock and rich blued steel receiver and barrel. But it would cost double what the Mossberg would cost. The main thing I like about the Mossberg is the safety. For teaching safety to my boy, it is nice to be able to see the tang safety right out in the open compared to the cross bolt safety of the Remington. The rifled barrel for the Remington cost 2/3 of what the whole combo Mossberg cost. If I had to buy one today for me, I would still lean Remington, they just feel better in my hands.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:50 AM   #20

Years ago I had an 870 that I bought brand new, I think about 1 out of 10 shells would jam. It wouldn't eject the spent shell and would try to load a new one ontop of it. My neighbors kid has an 870 that for some reason every once in awile will become borderline impossible to pump at all. My grandpa got an 870 for christmas one year and by fall that gun had more rust on it than one I would considered to be neglected. He alwas kept it oiled and stored in the house. That being said I know alot of people that love there 870's. My dad has a 500 that he has had for 15+ years. Now he's not really into shooting or hunting so I would consider his neglected but it still looks good and rust free and works great other than rattling like an angry snake when you walk with it. Me I like my winchester 1300. I'v had if for almost ten years now I think and have never once had a problem with it. My brother inlaw has had his 1300 for two years now and his has also been problem free.