Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Mossberg Thunder Ranch M500 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/mossberg-thunder-ranch-m500-60134/)

CHLChris 03-13-2012 06:20 AM

Mossberg Thunder Ranch M500

So I am thinking of a 2nd Mossberg. I've already got a 20" barrel 590a1. I need a shorter one to fit in a smaller safe. I'm thinking the "new" Thunder Ranch model

I want a Mossberg so I have parts interchangeability between my 2 shotties, I need short length but still have a shoulder stock, and the biggest need is I want to have a rail on the forend for a flashlight. Aftermarket stuff is an extra $100 or more.

BUT I CAN'T FIND ONE!!!!! Where has this shotgun disappeared to? It was available last Fall.

Finlander 03-14-2012 10:45 PM

Good luck! I've searched the whole metro Detroit area and was able to find only 1. Every GS says their dealers don't have any and to check back later. I did manage to order that "1" but until I have it in my hands I'll be somewhat pessimistic. Anyway, it looks like just what I want, plain , black, short and a Mossberg.

vagunsmith 03-18-2012 01:57 PM

You are making a dood choice with Mossberg just completed my Mossberg Factory Armorer certification on the 590A1, 500, 590a1 DA series shotguns. At this training I was told that Mossberg is still a USA Family owned business. Their line production set up on the batch system meaning they will set up the line and run say 800 on one model. Then the will set ip and run a different model, and do on.

vagunsmith 03-18-2012 02:06 PM

Sorry I hit the send button by mistake on my phone before I was finished. I have 2 Mossberg MVP rifles, 2 of the lever action 22's on order since last August. With all the firearms being sold these days they cannot keep up with the demand , I would rather wait than them moving their factory off shore to get them made quicker. I have the 590A1 also.

Look at the new 2012 Mosdberg catalog. You will notice they have Remington barrels for sale. Why? Because Mossberg makes Remington shotgun barrels under contract. It's funny, you buy a Remington and get Mossberg barrel on it. Remingtons are nice shotguns also but the Mossberg is much better to service in my opinion.

HockaLouis 03-18-2012 03:55 PM

Took me, gosh, almost a year I think to get the exact short 590 A1 I configuration I wanted for various reasons. The big box stores like Cabelas get the first choice of what's made and gobble up huge volumes. You will get it, be patient. You'll be happy you did.

I'm still thrilled with the 590 A1's. Heck, I'm still thrilled with the 590 Special Purpose and 500's!!!

gmaster456 03-20-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockaLouis (Post 744032)

I'm still thrilled with the 590 A1's. Heck, I'm still thrilled with the 590 Special Purpose and 500's!!!

Indeed. They are great guns.

Buckethead47 03-21-2012 11:55 AM

Mossberg has been making barrels for remington for a while. I know they make deer barrels that aren't 300+ dollars. but from the factory its a remington barrel. The only thing I dislike about remington is the price of their accessories.

CHLChris 03-22-2012 04:29 AM

I've actually decided to go a different direction. I just put a 12" LOP overmold Hogue stock on my 51660 (bead sight, 8+1) 590a1 Mossberg shotgun so it will fit in my safe AND have a full-size magazine. And also bought a Trijicon front bead night sight.

Now, I plan on buying a 590a1 51663 (ghost ring sights, 8+1) and store it in my full-size safe. They're also out of stock everywhere, but I'll just have to wait!! :-)