Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Mossberg silver reserve opinion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/mossberg-silver-reserve-opinion-35878/)

cmhill 12-22-2010 02:44 AM

Mossberg silver reserve opinion

Ive heard about a good bit of problems with these shotguns, has mossberg fixed the issues? is it a decent / reliable over and under. im not looking to purchase one but possibly carry them in my store for someone looking for a lower end / lower priced o/u

JonM 12-22-2010 03:25 AM

mossberg's expertise is pump action. hard to beat a mossberg pump. havent ever seen anything that makes me interested in their ou shotguns.

maierar 12-22-2010 01:22 PM

Mossberg O/U

Lots of interesting discussion (including my take on my Silver Reserve O/U) here: MossbergOwners.com • Index page

Virginian 12-23-2010 12:00 AM

A VERY long time ago, my mother told me that if you can't say something nice.... don't.

aandabooks 12-23-2010 02:43 AM

Stoeger is probably the line of O/U that I would be looking at if I had a shop and wanted to add a cheaper line of shottys. They seem well made and have Beretta behind them. Gander had them for $349 recently. Hell of a deal on an O/U in my opinion.

.22hustler 12-30-2010 02:41 PM

My son loves his.. My gunsmith told me to stay away from everything named Stoeger....

aandabooks 12-30-2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .22hustler (Post 411601)
My son loves his.. My gunsmith told me to stay away from everything named Stoeger....

Why's that? Stoeger is made by Bennelli which is a quality name. Just gathering info before I lay the money down on an O/U after the first of the year.

.22hustler 12-30-2010 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aandabooks (Post 411635)
Why's that? Stoeger is made by Bennelli which is a quality name. Just gathering info before I lay the money down on an O/U after the first of the year.

From what I've been told, Stoeger is IMPORTED for Benelli, not made by them. The first clue should be the price of the Stoeger.. If Benelli did indeed manufacture the Stoeger, I think the price would reflect that. Save a little more green stuff and get a better quality O/U. When I buy things, I look at the resale or future value of something. I would get a Citori, if your funds can handle it.Of course, it's only what I've been told, and I know there's people out there who love their Stoegers. Actually, my son looked and felt the Stoeger O/U's before he settled on the Silver Reserve.It was like apples and oranges. The fit and finish were alot better on the Mossberg, and the gun fit my son very well, which is the most important thing. I've heard some things about the firing pins fracturing and needing replacement on the Mossberg, but that can be attributed to people pulling the trigger while the gun is open, and then closing the action, hitting the pins in the process. They might not break right away, but it could happen. Now, who would do that?? People behind the counter, who shouldn't be there, assembling the gun and screwing around with it. JMO..

JonM 12-30-2010 09:31 PM

stoeger is not a gun maker they are an importer and subsidiary of benelli. the guns benelli markets under the stoeger named i believe are made in brazil. cz does the same thing with huglu shotguns, imports em and puts their stamp on em.

this doesnt mean they are bad or suck. they are not show pieces but workhorses. they serve a market that either cant afford or dont want to pay a premium price for a shotgun they shoot as a hobby.

i bought a ringneck huglu made cz side by side and its a damn good shotgun. i can replace that thing 10-20 times before i hit the price of a winchester mod 21 side by side... stoeger is the same thing.

.22hustler 12-30-2010 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 411768)
stoeger is not a gun maker they are an importer and subsidiary of benelli. the guns benelli markets under the stoeger named i believe are made in brazil. cz does the same thing with huglu shotguns, imports em and puts their stamp on em.

this doesnt mean they are bad or suck. they are not show pieces but workhorses. they serve a market that either cant afford or dont want to pay a premium price for a shotgun they shoot as a hobby.

i bought a ringneck huglu made cz side by side and its a damn good shotgun. i can replace that thing 10-20 times before i hit the price of a winchester mod 21 side by side... stoeger is the same thing.

Of course you're right.. There's a market for everything, depending on what you want to pay, and what you're going to use it for.If you want something that stays in the safe because you're afraid of scratching it, by all means spend the money and tuck the gun away.You want something that works, and is going to be at the bottom of your duck boat, don't buy a Citori. I have all Winchesters, from shotguns to .22's to rifles. My son has what catches his eye,lol. SKS, Ak-47, 1100, 870, and numerous other long guns that barely fit into his safe, some haven't been shot, they're still new, in the box. Now that he has his pistol permit, who knows what will go in there..It's funny but I'm just outside of Rochester, NY!!