Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Mossberg Shotguns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2011, 01:57 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

tellmaster: not trying to bust your balls, just trying to understand correctly.

On the FTF that you've had with the 88, could you attribute them to anything? ammo? rate of fire? dirty action? etc?
By your own admission, you state that you can "smash and trash" it, and it's "takin a lot of abuse". Could this have anything to do with your FTF events? Do you keep it clean and lubed? Just askin'...

Rufus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellmaster207 View Post
Sure, the reason I wouldn't use it for home defense is failure to fire. I bought mine new about seven years ago. Even when it was new I would get a few FTF's (maybe 1 in 250). Now I've been totally abusing this gun for years and I'll get, maybe 1-125. Plus now I've takin the aluminum receiver apart about 3 million times. So I don't even recommend it for hunting either. Cheap guns are fun, but I really have never owned one I'm confident enough to bet my life on it.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

Last edited by RufusTFirefly; 10-14-2011 at 02:00 AM.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:57 AM   #32

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Rufus you asked:
1) Ammo?: no not ammo.
2) Rate of fire?: Better not have anything to do with that. "faster I rack it the faster I jack it"
3) dirty action?: I'm a compulsive maintenance freak.

Yes I "smash & trash it" & "yes it takes a lot of abuse" that's why it's a truck gun & not a HD weapon.

I saw the post you made earlier. About you shooting it 150 times. One of the things I'm fortunate of, is I get to shoot often. If I say I get a FTF every 125 rounds with a Mav then I know my 500 that I've shot @least 900 rounds though with not one issue common sense says you use the 500. Understand?

Top Five Reasons A Mav 88 is no HD

5) low quality plastic internals are something I find in my XBox not my HD weapon.
4). Aluminum receivers don't work out well when repeatedly disassembling from trying to get Daisy BB gun safety to work. Tends to leave you with a little "wabble" issue.
3) Moss 500 will cost you $125 more & shoots every time. The most important thing in any HD weapon.
2) I haven't trusted Mexican parts since I bought a Ford Taurus and the transmission blew on the way home.
1) Daisy BB gun cross-bolt safety works "ok" sometimes.

If you don't think FTF are important ask a city cop how many dead gang bangers they have found dead with failure to fire & failure to feed truck guns lying beside them.
Alot of people think any gun is better than no gun. I disagree with that opinion, if there is any chance that firearm is not going to fire EVERYTIME I'd rather have a really long knife. There called Nagant 91/30's.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:20 PM   #33

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 20

500 and 590 receivers area aluminum, just saying......................

“If you're gonna die, die with your boots on!”— Iron Maiden

“MOLON LABE”— King Leonidas

“Remember the first rule of gunfighting... ‘have a gun.’”— Col. Jeff Cooper

Old 10-14-2011, 06:13 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
500 and 590 receivers area aluminum, just saying......................
Aircraft Aluminium. Is the maverick Aircraft? I think not.

If you outlaw guns then only outlaws have guns.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:16 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellmaster207 View Post

Impressive, every time im using the FTF app i can only post one sentence responses!

If you outlaw guns then only outlaws have guns.