Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Mossberg Rattle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/mossberg-rattle-83169/)

kmglocks 02-02-2013 04:41 PM

Mossberg Rattle

I know this may be an inherent problem with the mossberg 500 with the rattle on the foregrip of this shotgun. But, is there a way to get rid of it? I know you can tighten the nut of an 870 with a wrench and that takes the rattle away but with a mossberg it looks to be more in foregrip bars. Any ideas?

WolfPak 02-02-2013 05:54 PM

I don't believe you can tighten it up because it is designed to be loose. It was designed with the AK47 theory of loose tolerances in mind.

sniper762 02-02-2013 06:20 PM

mines same

akers06 02-02-2013 09:00 PM

Reason why I'm not a big fan of the 500s

WolfPak 02-03-2013 01:38 PM

If you are using the push-pull recoil management technique, then the forearm should be stable and not an issue.

akers06 02-03-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfPak (Post 1121826)
If you are using the push-pull recoil management technique, then the forearm should be stable and not an issue.

It's hard to hold onto the forearm the whole time you are hunting and you shouldn't have to either

SSGN_Doc 02-03-2013 02:33 PM

The action bars of a Mossberg are riveted in place, while Remington bars are welded. This is the mechanical reason that they rattle.

I haven't looked closely enough, but it may be possible to place a second rivet or some form of gasket to reduce noise/motion.

WolfPak 02-03-2013 03:20 PM

I found this over on the Shotgun Forum. You might try calling Mossberg.

"Newer Mossberg model 500's and 835's do have a spring that keeps the slide bar's from rotating loosely, and thus greatly reduces the rattling tendency of the whole slide assembly.

It doesn't look like you could easily retrofit this spring into an older slide assembly -- you'd have to take off the slide bars (which seem to be more-or-less permanently pinned in place -- ?) and cut a little notch in each to hold the ends of the spring.

However, you can buy one of these newer slide tube assemblies (with spring already installed) directly from the Mossberg parts department. They come in both short and long versions, to fit the old (long) and newer (short) wooden forends.

I bought one awhile back and swapped out my old with the new -- think it cost ~$30 - $40 or so. Now it doesn't rattle at all when carrying and shifting the gun around. Yay!"

swazispencer 02-04-2013 04:39 AM

Mine rattles and twists a little bit too. Bugs me. And I just bought it and fired it for the first time today.

jpattersonnh 02-09-2013 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfPak (Post 1120731)
I don't believe you can tighten it up because it is designed to be loose. It was designed with the AK47 theory of loose tolerances in mind.

BS. Nothing else but BS. I have a very early 500, no rattle. If you are walking, you may get some wiggle. I hunt, so my hand is always on the foregrip. I've had mine for close to 20 years, bought it used. Never had an issue.