Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Mossberg Model 835 "Ulti-Mag"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2009, 04:18 PM   #11
TxG
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiroZero713 View Post
Hrm then I should buy a new choke for buckshot...not sure which one I should get though....I'll probably get factory.

Most people will use a Cylinder or Improved Cylinder choke for buckshot when in HD/SD mode. Basically less contriction for HD/SD where you want a little more spread in close quarters, more contriction for hunting where you want tighter patterns further out.

Shotgun Chokes

Old 06-19-2009, 04:23 PM   #12
TxG

One other thing: Do not use slugs in an 835 as it has a backbored barrel. This can allow the slug to 'cant' as it moves down the bore and potentially split the barrel. Mossberg prints a warning on the side of the barrel about this, but it can be difficult to see on camo.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:29 PM   #13

$200.00 NIB is a GREAT price for a 835. They're way more than that up here.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:50 PM   #14
TxG

I don't know where my 1st post went, but I made the point that most people use Cylinder (Cyl) or Improved Cylinder (IC) chokes for SD/HD where a more open shot spread due to tighter quarters is desirable. For hunting, of course, you'll generally want a tighter choke, depending on what you are hunting.

Choosing The Right Choke For Your Shotgun

Old 06-20-2009, 01:54 AM   #15

Someone told me I'm fine shooting lead shot buck shot through the Turkey choke but probably only O shot...since OO or OOO might bounce around and make the Shotgun explode with that choke.

But I'll probably just get a IC choke since it'll make it spread more. See I'm not going to use O shot for self defense though...I'd just like to know the shotgun could handle it so I can see how it shoots at the range...also a guy said the turkey shot because of the tight pattern would feel like a slug to a badguy no matter the shot...since it's such a tight pattern. Make sense.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:01 AM   #16

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Heavi-Shot from Federal Premium #5. Tight up to 'bout 30 yds. Most encounters will be closer than that. If you get the 3-1/2" shells, the follow up shot may be off as they can kick pretty good. 3" shells will do fine.

Remmy Nitro Turkey loads as well. Either of those will make a bg very unhappy and messy.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 06-20-2009, 02:18 AM   #17

Don't shoot any buck shot through a turkey choke unless you like the look of the old shotguns that Elmer Fudd hunted with that had a bell shaped barrel and enjoy picking barrel shrapnel out of your face. Buckshot can clog in an over choked barrel and cause some feces t hit the fan.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:20 PM   #18

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Listen to what Big Cat says NO BUCK SHOT IN EXTRA FULL TURKEY CHOKE....

Not to bust your balls or anything but didn't you learn proper trigger and gun safety once already? So why are you there posing with a firearm pointed at the wall with your trigger on the finger? Think man think.........

Old 06-20-2009, 10:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Listen to what Big Cat says NO BUCK SHOT IN EXTRA FULL TURKEY CHOKE....

Not to bust your balls or anything but didn't you learn proper trigger and gun safety once already? So why are you there posing with a firearm pointed at the wall with your trigger on the finger? Think man think.........
I don't have my finger on the trigger. It's the lighting.