Mossberg Model 835 "Ulti-Mag"
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Mossberg Model 835 "Ulti-Mag"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2009, 02:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mossberg Model 835 "Ulti-Mag"

Hey guys I recently came into possession of one of these babies and I'm loving it so far....having shot it but eh...either way....what do you guys suggest to shoot through this thing? It came with a chote and what not....and it's most likely an older model of this

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/62235.jpg

But it's fiber optic sights are not Adjustable.

I'm going to use this shotgun for hunting in the future most likely and as my self defense weapon. Should I leave the chote on there when it's in self defense mode? Or take it off for a better killing spread? Or should I but an entirely new chote all together?

I'll most likely use Bird Shot in SD mode as to not get to much penetration and hopefully not hurt a family member.

And I got this shotgun for free and It's my only pump action shotgun....my other is a single shot Sawed off that I'm just going to get rid off to my brother for his little "In Case of Zombies Break Glass" project.

Last edited by JiroZero713; 06-19-2009 at 02:18 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-19-2009, 03:06 AM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Jiro, that is a gun made for turkey. Also, it is a choke tube, not chote tube. It is chambered for any 2-3/4, 3 and 3-1/2" load. I would leave the choke in and use nothing but 3" shells. Get turkey loads--#4 or #5 in Heavy Shot. Good defense gun, but better turkey killer. If the gun is clean, I will give you $75.00 for it if you need the frog skins.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 06-19-2009, 03:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Jiro, that is a gun made for turkey. Also, it is a choke tube, not chote tube. It is chambered for any 2-3/4, 3 and 3-1/2" load. I would leave the choke in and use nothing but 3" shells. Get turkey loads--#4 or #5 in Heavy Shot. Good defense gun, but better turkey killer. If the gun is clean, I will give you $75.00 for it if you need the frog skins.
Hrm can't you use buck shot in it at all? Like if I got a different choke?

Old 06-19-2009, 04:31 AM   #4

You can run buckshot. Check the choke. Most chokes are 'lead only' unless specified. There are plenty of chokes available for that gun, factory and after market. You have one very good shotgun there...you sure you don't wanna let it go for some cash?

From C3Shooter:

Quote:

Old 06-19-2009, 12:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
You can run buckshot. Check the choke. Most chokes are 'lead only' unless specified. There are plenty of chokes available for that gun, factory and after market. You have one very good shotgun there...you sure you don't wanna let it go for some cash?
How much will you offer? Or were you being serious about the 75 bucks? lol

I just cleaned this sucker up and it looks great so far.

And I think I read on the site that the choke it comes with is lead only and not recommended with steel shot with the choke on....otherwise it's fine shooting Buckshot...just not slugs. I might get the Slug barrel for it....I'm liking the 24 inch...it's the perfect size for me....just long enough for hunting if I can ever go...and short enough to be used in the home if an intruder comes in. And I can't complain with free shotgun.

Last edited by JiroZero713; 06-19-2009 at 12:30 PM.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:19 PM   #6

Well, I would not offer much more than $75. NIB, they can be had for less than $200. Nice turkey gun.

Also, do not shoot it without a choke tube in it, you will ruin the threads.

From C3Shooter:

Quote:

Old 06-19-2009, 02:24 PM   #7

Hrm then I should buy a new choke for buckshot...not sure which one I should get though....I'll probably get factory.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:34 PM   #8

Wally World should have the Mossy Accu-choke. When in, it should sit nearly flush with the end of the barrel. Also, whatever you do get, make sure it is for Mossberg 835. Any ones not made for that gun will not work. Cabela's and Gander Mountain should have a selection.

From C3Shooter:

Quote:

Old 06-19-2009, 03:02 PM   #9

NIB for $200.00 ??? I don't think so. I'd like to know where so I can get another one. I use mine with a modified choke using steel #2 on ducks and steel BB for canadien geese. Then for coyotes I use a ulti-full choke with lead buckshot. I usually use 3 1/2 inch shells. Great shotgun. Period.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo60 View Post
NIB for $200.00 ??? I don't think so. I'd like to know where so I can get another one. I use mine with a modified choke using steel #2 on ducks and steel BB for canadien geese. Then for coyotes I use a ulti-full choke with lead buckshot. I usually use 3 1/2 inch shells. Great shotgun. Period.

Down in alabama in Mark's Outdoors they have 2 more on sale for 200 dollars.