Mossberg Maverick 88
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Mossberg Maverick 88

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 01:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Default Mossberg Maverick 88

An the Maverick Model 88 12 gauge shoot slugs. It says it has a ACCU choke. The owners manual is not clear on this. Thank you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-17-2012, 05:53 AM   #2
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1746 Times on 1077 Posts
Likes Given: 9528

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecasejr View Post
An the Maverick Model 88 12 gauge shoot slugs. It says it has a ACCU choke. The owners manual is not clear on this. Thank you.
Change out the Accu choke to an improved cylender and yes It will fire slugs. Do Not send any rounds through the barrel with out a choke firmly in place! This will ruin the barrel threads and the choke will not stay in. Don't shoot slugs through a full choke either, as it will stretch out the choke and the barrel both. Maverick 88, I took my 2nd deer with one. and all but 12 of them during the 17 years I owned one. Good gun.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:11 AM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
ACCU Choke is just Mossberg's name for their screw in chokes, like Winchester had Win-Choke, and Remington had Rem-Choke. but the previous poster is correct about the chokes, they aren't to be fired without one in the barrel as it will ruin it. chokes are sized by the amount of constriction of the ID of the choke.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #4

Liked 154 Times on 116 Posts

And you can shoot any slug thru any choke down to standard full with no issues, and it will not stretch anything. Slugs are soft, and undersized, or if they are hard and in a sabot, the sabot is plastic. I wouldn't want to shoot them thru a super full turkey type choke, especially is one was vented.

What could have happened... did.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks a million for the replies but I am still a little confused. Is the ACCU "screw in choke" not a real choke and capable of shooting slugs? If I choose to shoot slugs and have to change the choke, is this easily done? Forgive this shotgun newbie. Thanks again.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks a million for the replies but I am still a little confused. Is the ACCU "screw in choke" not a real choke and capable of shooting slugs? If I choose to shoot slugs and have to change the choke, is this easily done? Forgive this shotgun newbie. Thanks again.
ACCU Choke is just a name they call their screw in chokes. it is a real choke that screws into the muzzle end of the barrel. all that's needed to change them out is a choke wrench. go to MidwayUSA.com and look up choke tube wrenches, and you find what you need. they range in price as to what you might want. i bought two very simple ones for less than $5. also get some type of lube and put a light coat on the threads of the choke to make replacement easier.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:39 PM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

After scanning the internet, I see that opinions are all over the place. Some say it will shoot anything just fine right out of the box, while others say a diferent choke is a must..... Thanks for the help.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #8

Quote:
After scanning the internet, I see that opinions are all over the place. Some say it will shoot anything just fine right out of the box, while others say a diferent choke is a must..... Thanks for the help.
from a personal standpoint, i don't shoot slugs in my shotguns with a barrel that has a screw in choke, i use a slug barrel with sights. that's just my preference, and you can shoot slugs through certain sized choke tubes. i am just giving my use and preferences. i just happen to prefer a dedicated barrel for mine.