Mossberg issue.

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Mossberg issue.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Default Mossberg issue.

Took my wife out to let her shoot a mossberg for preparedness reasons, recent breakins, ammo shortage etc. She shot various slugs, buckshot and bird shot but she brought something to my attention I hadn't noticed, after she did I noticed it as well, five shot tube with one in the chamber, the further you get through the shots the harder the pump is to actuate and the last one becomes difficult, is this a mind thing or does the pump assembly need to be disassembled and oiled?

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-30-2013, 05:25 PM   #2

Liked 224 Times on 148 Posts

Never experienced the problem. Couldn't hurt to take it apart and clean and lube the action.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierTCB View Post
Never experienced the problem. Couldn't hurt to take it apart and clean and lube the action.
Alright, I'm going to break the thing down tonight while the 15 year olds boyfriend visits , How much oil? just apply and wipe off excess or leave some on it and just reassemble?

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:28 PM   #4

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Interesting. Yes on the oil. Question: is it when you are pushing the forearm forward and is the shell loose on the lifter when the forearm is all the way back?

Old 03-30-2013, 10:35 PM   #5
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1607 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 8508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiebelhaus View Post
Alright, I'm going to break the thing down tonight while the 15 year olds boyfriend visits , How much oil? just apply and wipe off excess or leave some on it and just reassemble?
I would say take it down, and clean and oil the pump mechanism. As to the how much oil question, Do you intend to shoot it within the next 6 months? If so lightly oil it, and wipe of the extra, If no, leave the oil on it with no wipe down. If it is a regular HD gun, treat it as you would if you intend to shoot it more often, I'm sure I don't need to say why.

Now for another question. When you last cleaned the shotgun, did you leave a coating of oil on it? Too much oil and low air temps can cause the condition you described. A friend of mine had his M 500 fail to fire due to an over drenching of the bolt with oil when he put it up for the year, after hunting season was over. He lost his dog due to this misfire. The gun went click 5 times when he tried to shoot 4 coyotes which were attacking his dog.

The weather conditions were, low 20s with a light snow, and approximate wind s of 20 with 35 MPH gusts. The shot gun was in a safe on an outside wall. Granted, this was a worst case scenario, but hopefully you can see where I'm going with this. The other reason to lightly oil, excess oil picks up dirt, and carbon from the fired shells, which can thicken tho oil. This can cause the problem you described in the OP. When you break the shotgun down, check the cloth you use to wipe down the action, and see how much cr@p is on those cloths. You may be supprised at how much comes out of there. best of luck.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Wiebelhaus Likes This 
Old 03-31-2013, 12:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattShlock View Post
Interesting. Yes on the oil. Question: is it when you are pushing the forearm forward and is the shell loose on the lifter when the forearm is all the way back?
Yes to both.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:54 AM   #7

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Wiebelhaus, the fact that the shells are loose tells me that they have cleared the tube and are not having to be forced out and up. One possibility I thought of was that as the tube emptied the tension decreased and there was something holding the shells behind that were being man-handled (or woman-handled in this case).

So, what else changes particularly on the last round? There are cartridge stopping and interupter arms that are managed by the elevator assembly. After the last round is released from the tube there will be no more tension on these from the shells. I don't know exactly what's happening but suspect that's where the problem is. Cleaning the channels these are in and depressed into especially in the corners and ensuring the places they touch the receiver and any other parts while working are lightly oiled might, indeed, correct this unique problem.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:49 AM   #8
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1607 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 8508

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattShlock View Post
Wiebelhaus, the fact that the shells are loose tells me that they have cleared the tube and are not having to be forced out and up. One possibility I thought of was that as the tube emptied the tension decreased and there was something holding the shells behind that were being man-handled (or woman-handled in this case).

So, what else changes particularly on the last round? There are cartridge stopping and interupter arms that are managed by the elevator assembly. After the last round is released from the tube there will be no more tension on these from the shells. I don't know exactly what's happening but suspect that's where the problem is. Cleaning the channels these are in and depressed into especially in the corners and ensuring the places they touch the receiver and any other parts while working are lightly oiled might, indeed, correct this unique problem.
I never would have thought of this. Good suggestion Matt. Wiebelhaus, stock up on cheap medium and stiff toothbrushes. They are great for cleaning out the nooks and cranies of the receiver. They won't scratch the finish, and are safe when used for agressive scrubbing.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 03-31-2013, 01:14 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierTCB View Post
Same here. Mossberg 590A1 with 5 shot magazine. Never a problem. Reliable piece of machinery.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:54 PM   #10

Liked 224 Times on 148 Posts

One thing I forgot to ask was if the gun is new. The slide can be a little stiff when they first come from the factory. But I wouldn't think it would matter how many shells were in it then.
Let us know what you find out!