Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Mossberg issue. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/mossberg-issue-87835/)

Wiebelhaus 03-30-2013 04:41 PM

Mossberg issue.
 
Took my wife out to let her shoot a mossberg for preparedness reasons, recent breakins, ammo shortage etc. She shot various slugs, buckshot and bird shot but she brought something to my attention I hadn't noticed, after she did I noticed it as well, five shot tube with one in the chamber, the further you get through the shots the harder the pump is to actuate and the last one becomes difficult, is this a mind thing or does the pump assembly need to be disassembled and oiled?

FrontierTCB 03-30-2013 05:25 PM

Never experienced the problem. Couldn't hurt to take it apart and clean and lube the action.

Wiebelhaus 03-30-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrontierTCB (Post 1196892)
Never experienced the problem. Couldn't hurt to take it apart and clean and lube the action.

Alright, I'm going to break the thing down tonight while the 15 year olds boyfriend visits :D , How much oil? just apply and wipe off excess or leave some on it and just reassemble?

MattShlock 03-30-2013 10:28 PM

Interesting. Yes on the oil. Question: is it when you are pushing the forearm forward and is the shell loose on the lifter when the forearm is all the way back?

kfox75 03-30-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiebelhaus (Post 1196899)
Alright, I'm going to break the thing down tonight while the 15 year olds boyfriend visits :D , How much oil? just apply and wipe off excess or leave some on it and just reassemble?

I would say take it down, and clean and oil the pump mechanism. As to the how much oil question, Do you intend to shoot it within the next 6 months? If so lightly oil it, and wipe of the extra, If no, leave the oil on it with no wipe down. If it is a regular HD gun, treat it as you would if you intend to shoot it more often, I'm sure I don't need to say why.

Now for another question. When you last cleaned the shotgun, did you leave a coating of oil on it? Too much oil and low air temps can cause the condition you described. A friend of mine had his M 500 fail to fire due to an over drenching of the bolt with oil when he put it up for the year, after hunting season was over. He lost his dog due to this misfire. The gun went click 5 times when he tried to shoot 4 coyotes which were attacking his dog.

The weather conditions were, low 20s with a light snow, and approximate wind s of 20 with 35 MPH gusts. The shot gun was in a safe on an outside wall. Granted, this was a worst case scenario, but hopefully you can see where I'm going with this. The other reason to lightly oil, excess oil picks up dirt, and carbon from the fired shells, which can thicken tho oil. This can cause the problem you described in the OP. When you break the shotgun down, check the cloth you use to wipe down the action, and see how much cr@p is on those cloths. You may be supprised at how much comes out of there. best of luck.

Wiebelhaus 03-31-2013 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattShlock (Post 1197227)
Interesting. Yes on the oil. Question: is it when you are pushing the forearm forward and is the shell loose on the lifter when the forearm is all the way back?

Yes to both.

MattShlock 03-31-2013 01:54 AM

Wiebelhaus, the fact that the shells are loose tells me that they have cleared the tube and are not having to be forced out and up. One possibility I thought of was that as the tube emptied the tension decreased and there was something holding the shells behind that were being man-handled (or woman-handled in this case).

So, what else changes particularly on the last round? There are cartridge stopping and interupter arms that are managed by the elevator assembly. After the last round is released from the tube there will be no more tension on these from the shells. I don't know exactly what's happening but suspect that's where the problem is. Cleaning the channels these are in and depressed into especially in the corners and ensuring the places they touch the receiver and any other parts while working are lightly oiled might, indeed, correct this unique problem.

kfox75 03-31-2013 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattShlock (Post 1197504)
Wiebelhaus, the fact that the shells are loose tells me that they have cleared the tube and are not having to be forced out and up. One possibility I thought of was that as the tube emptied the tension decreased and there was something holding the shells behind that were being man-handled (or woman-handled in this case).

So, what else changes particularly on the last round? There are cartridge stopping and interupter arms that are managed by the elevator assembly. After the last round is released from the tube there will be no more tension on these from the shells. I don't know exactly what's happening but suspect that's where the problem is. Cleaning the channels these are in and depressed into especially in the corners and ensuring the places they touch the receiver and any other parts while working are lightly oiled might, indeed, correct this unique problem.

I never would have thought of this. Good suggestion Matt. Wiebelhaus, stock up on cheap medium and stiff toothbrushes. They are great for cleaning out the nooks and cranies of the receiver. They won't scratch the finish, and are safe when used for agressive scrubbing.

PanBaccha 03-31-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrontierTCB (Post 1196892)
Never experienced the problem. Couldn't hurt to take it apart and clean and lube the action.

Same here. Mossberg 590A1 with 5 shot magazine. Never a problem. Reliable piece of machinery. :)

FrontierTCB 03-31-2013 01:54 PM

One thing I forgot to ask was if the gun is new. The slide can be a little stiff when they first come from the factory. But I wouldn't think it would matter how many shells were in it then.
Let us know what you find out!


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:17 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.