Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Mossberg forearm advice please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 05:47 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 61 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Mossberg forearm advice please

I've got a new Mossberg 500 Persuader/Cruiser that I purchased for home defense use by my son. He and his children have moved in with me since my wife died and his apartment is in the basement. I've had an assortment of handguns for security, keying on a Glock 22 (.40S&W) with light/laser and a hi-cap magazine full of Hydro-Shok, but he has an entrance also and needs something to hold his end of the fort with. Since he has vision problems I decided that a shotgun would be the best thing for him to have in his area since precision aiming is not so critical. Of course we've tricked the Mossy out some with a RTI tac-stock/pistol grip and a laser/light/big red-dot combo. We would like to add a pistol grip forearm but have been told that new 500's are unable to have such a change because of the attachment of the action bars. Is this true and are there procedures to get the job done anyway (safely!!!)? It looks nasty now but he thinks a modified forearm would be both nastier and easier for him to pump. Any suggestions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #2

Liked 141 Times on 99 Posts

I'm sorry I don't know of anywere that sells the pistol grip forearm, but I do know that the extra pressure on the action bars can cause malfunctions or for them to break, which is probably why you can't find any..there are nice forearms you can get for some added force, ill find them for you in just a minute.
** edited to add the PG forearms are all over..never looked for them personally. Still looking for the one i had in mind.

Last edited by GaryGlock; 08-29-2012 at 05:52 PM.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-TAC1081151

I haven't tried this one, but that is the company that made the "sidesaddle" shell holder i use, and it is decent quality. It did have a question about post 2006 models without removable front ends or something.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I just put a Command Arms railed forearm on my Mossberg and then added a Magpul MOE foregrip. Works like a charm.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:32 AM   #5

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Not much of a tacticool guy (I'd say) so don't know, but, there are different forearm/forearm tube lengths. One of these is long, one short. These are both 12 ga. 500's with the same length magazine tube...

mossberg-500-w-polychoke-b.jpg   mossberg-500a-compressed-little.jpg  

Old 08-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #6

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEagleEars View Post
We would like to add a pistol grip forearm but have been told that new 500's are unable to have such a change because of the attachment of the action bars. Is this true and are there procedures to get the job done anyway (safely!!!)? It looks nasty now but he thinks a modified forearm would be both nastier and easier for him to pump. Any suggestions?
You can have a vertical grip on your forend no matter what kind of forend you have. First you need to determine what you have. If the action bars are attached right to the plastic of the forend you have the “pinned” forend that people call the new 500 forend. If the action bars attach to metal underneath the plastic ribbed forend than you have the old style.
If you have the pinned forend you will need action tube with action bars attached from the factory and a forend that has or will accept pic rails to attach the vertical grip the forend will slide over the tube then be installed on the gun.
If you have the old style than you just need the forend that will accept a vertical grip that you can install over your existing action tube.
There are two lengths of action tube for Mossberg, 6 1/ 2 “ and 7 5/8”. The long one is the most common and the short one usually came on bantam models……but that doesn’t always stand true because Mossberg likes to mix it up……a lot

Old 08-30-2012, 02:11 PM   #7

Liked 55 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Here is what he needs.
I thought this was just a joke gun but it does have a purpose it stops the muzzle climb.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
George S. Patton

Old 08-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #8

Liked 141 Times on 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62 Man
Here is what he needs.
I thought this was just a joke gun but it does have a purpose it stops the muzzle climb.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM_Jl9LcO_U
The chainsaw is used as a tool, and like most tools has a very specific job, that's for blasting door hinges and locks an shouldn't be used for much more..

Old 08-31-2012, 06:46 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hay oldeagle if you want a pistolgrip forend ,check out galati international.com ,they got pistolgrip forends for the 500, but if you got a model a or b,I think the forend is part of the action bars, so you might have to change your action bars,again galati international.com

Old 09-02-2012, 05:09 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yaaaaaaaaaa I like it