Mossberg Combo #54169 Questions - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Mossberg Combo #54169 Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2010, 03:44 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Mossberg has designated some of their tactical HD shotguns SP for Special Purpose. Weight differences should be minimal. Look at the Mossberg website or an online gun dealer site. Both should have the stats, mag capacity, features and weight of the various models. If all else fails head down to the gun shop, Dicks, Cabella or whatever and get a feel for a few different models. If you can't decide save your pennies and get both...

Don't worry about the barrel. Mossberg 500s like the Remington 870 have a huge aftermarket for parts. You can always get a different barrel later on, upgrade the trigger group (pops out with one pin) or pretty much customize or change any part on the gun. Best thing is that the parts all come out when you break it down for cleaning so you just put the new ones in as you reassemble. One difference between Mossberg and Remington is the ability to add mag extenders. Unlike Remington, the Mossberg's barrel nut is welded to the barrel and does not come off. In order to up the mag capacity you have to replace both the magazine and the barrel. Most likely not a big deal as you are limited to 2 or 3 rounds in the field in most states and 6 or 7 rounds of 000 buck should be enough for HD unless you live in zombie paradise.

Good luck...
I was looking at a a web page this morning, that I had saved a few days back, Modern Firearms - Mossberg 500 shotgun. I was studying the picture and realized the combo I'm looking at only has the capacity of 2 or 3 rounds. It doesn't say that, but it appears that way. It is a hunting combo, so they must have figured that was obvious.

I couldn't find a comparison chart on the Mossberg website, and my mental cache isn't big enough to keep all the specs in my head while comparing one gun on one page, and then going to the next gun adinfinitem, and without pricing. I end up juggling so much, that the obvious is obscured.

I guess I'll write Mossberg and ask if they have a specs comparison chart. Regardless, I am going to try to put together a simple database. As the user selects what is required and what doesn't matter, the appropriate guns present themselves to the user.

There is something similar at mypetchicken.com. You may end up needing to make a decision still, but if you must have a cold hearty, broody chicken, you can find them with a couple clicks. Done.

Anyway, I appreciate all you guy's help. I am going to go to Dicks on Monday, but I think I have decided on the 500SP you referred me too as the pragmatic choice. Thanks for Jpyle.

On to my Database!