Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Mossberg Combo #54169 Questions (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/mossberg-combo-54169-questions-23330/)

Tuco 02-12-2010 03:15 PM

Mossberg Combo #54169 Questions
 
Hello,

I am very new to guns. I am looking to buy my first, SG for HD...primarily. I thought about going with a Rem 870P due to everything I've read, but it is just too much for me right now.

I went into a gun store and held the Rem 870 and a Moss 500. I like the way the pump feels on the Moss, certainly the price point, so I figured I'd go with what feels right. I even decided that since I don't hunt (will have to change that), I will go cheap this time and give up any chance of a quality trigger group.

See how much schooling this thread has given me for a new member? :D

So many choices in the 500 family, looking for the right price, I came upon the #54169 combo. http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/few-shotgun-questions-22663/

For the price, $310.00, I can just about afford to replace parts as needed if needed...and upgrade them.

Q.1 I'm wondering why it is so cheap.

It seems that the cheapest Moss 500 I've found has been about $350.00 in the store. One said Special. I think it was a 500 Special. It seemed a fair price for the gun, and fair relative to the retail price I found on the 590A1.

Sorry for the long post. It feels relevant. Anyway, the pump on this combo looks like the pump on the Rems, which felt a little thin for my hand.

Q.2 Does anyone have any experience with this combo? Can you confirm that the pump is going to feel more like the Remington 870 as apposed to that big pump I've seen on other mossbergs? That is probably obvious, but whatever.

Q.3 How much more do you think a dealer will tack on for their spread?

Q.4 Is it possible to get this with a collapsible stock?

Q.5 If the answer to Q.4 is "No," What 500 family Moss should I look at for a low end piece? People refer to them generically, but then there are so many.

Thanks!

Jpyle 02-12-2010 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuco (Post 229325)
Hello,

I am very new to guns. I am looking to buy my first, SG for HD...primarily. I thought about going with a Rem 870P due to everything I've read, but it is just too much for me right now.

I went into a gun store and held the Rem 870 and a Moss 500. I like the way the pump feels on the Moss, certainly the price point, so I figured I'd go with what feels right. I even decided that since I don't hunt (will have to change that), I will go cheap this time and give up any chance of a quality trigger group.

See how much schooling this thread has given me for a new member? :D

So many choices in the 500 family, looking for the right price, I came upon the #54169 combo. http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/few-shotgun-questions-22663/

For the price, $310.00, I can just about afford to replace parts as needed if needed...and upgrade them.

Q.1 I'm wondering why it is so cheap.

It seems that the cheapest Moss 500 I've found has been about $350.00 in the store. One said Special. I think it was a 500 Special. It seemed a fair price for the gun, and fair relative to the retail price I found on the 590A1.

Sorry for the long post. It feels relevant. Anyway, the pump on this combo looks like the pump on the Rems, which felt a little thin for my hand.

Q.2 Does anyone have any experience with this combo? Can you confirm that the pump is going to feel more like the Remington 870 as apposed to that big pump I've seen on other mossbergs? That is probably obvious, but whatever.

Q.3 How much more do you think a dealer will tack on for their spread?

Q.4 Is it possible to get this with a collapsible stock?

Q.5 If the answer to Q.4 is "No," What 500 family Moss should I look at for a low end piece? People refer to them generically, but then there are so many.

Thanks!

The answer to all of your questions is "look around, go to a few dealers and handle a few models. Like cars, Mossberg and Remington shotguns come in many variations with different options and price points. At the core they are all basically the same. The model shown, which ironically I posted for another member, is a basic, plain Jane generic model. That's why Buds sells it for $310. A higher end model with variable choke barrel, ghost ring sights or other features is going to cost more.

The basic gun with the 18.5" barrel is all that you really need for HD, a reliable gun that goes bang when you pull the trigger. As for collapsible stocks or pistol grips both are available options. I've never been a fan as they are a bit difficult for inexperienced shooters to use. I realize that it has benefits in a CQB situation at home but I like the added safety of looking down the barrel at what I am targeting, not shooting from the hip, JMO.

Tuco 02-12-2010 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle (Post 229360)
The answer to all of your questions is "look around, go to a few dealers and handle a few models. Like cars, Mossberg and Remington shotguns come in many variations with different options and price points. At the core they are all basically the same. The model shown, which ironically I posted for another member, is a basic, plain Jane generic model. That's why Buds sells it for $310. A higher end model with variable choke barrel, ghost ring sights or other features is going to cost more.

The basic gun with the 18.5" barrel is all that you really need for HD, a reliable gun that goes bang when you pull the trigger. As for collapsible stocks or pistol grips both are available options. I've never been a fan as they are a bit difficult for inexperienced shooters to use. I realize that it has benefits in a CQB situation at home but I like the added safety of looking down the barrel at what I am targeting, not shooting from the hip, JMO.

I did decide on Mossberg based on feel. I guess I could request to hold the gun in the combo by product #...if they have it. As mentioned, there are so many options in the 500 family, I don't know what the Special was versus the item in the combo.

Also as mentioned, I'm OK with giving up the quality trigger group, and the heavier barrel of the 590A1; but if I'm going to give up quality from the $350 range to an option with an extra barrel for $40 less money, I'd like to know what I'm losing.

I was hoping to get an answer here rather than the gun store because they seem to have an attitude up there, but I can run up there again. I can think of worse places to hang out. :-)

CA357 02-12-2010 05:55 PM

I bought a Mossberg 500A with the 18.5" and the 28" barrels. I bought it at Big 5 Sporting Goods. It is a great shotgun. It was inexpensive to buy and it's reliable and stout.

That combination Mossberg from Buds is an excellent deal. Go for it, you won't regret it. You can get fancy down the road.

Tuco 02-12-2010 07:26 PM

I made it to the gun store and they said there was not difference in quality between the gun offered in the combo and the one that is $50 more and minus a barrel. I guess I'll pay the transfer fee, get the combo, and change to a telescoping or speed feed stock later.

Finally, a decision.

Tuco 02-12-2010 07:33 PM

..........

Tuco 02-12-2010 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 229460)
I bought a Mossberg 500A with the 18.5" and the 28" barrels. I bought it at Big 5 Sporting Goods. It is a great shotgun. It was inexpensive to buy and it's reliable and stout.

That combination Mossberg from Buds is an excellent deal. Go for it, you won't regret it. You can get fancy down the road.

Tried to delete, not duplicate posts. I'm glad to come back to an opinion that concurs with my decision. I'm going to have them transfer the combo to my local shop, but I'm going to have to see if they can change the slide on it. I like the one without the groove running the length. Either way, they are making me a deal I can't refuse.

Jpyle 02-12-2010 08:12 PM

Some of your answers may be a mouse click away. Here's a link to Buds with another Mossberg that may be more what you are looking for. Doesn't have the added barrel but its set up for tactical, not field use. Some models have a "corncob" foregrip, not sure which you prefer.

Mossberg 50521 500SP 12 18 6SH CB PGK PRK for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $265.00

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/i...1/39/39622.jpg

Tuco 02-12-2010 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle (Post 229530)
Some of your answers may be a mouse click away. Here's a link to Buds with another Mossberg that may be more what you are looking for. Doesn't have the added barrel but its set up for tactical, not field use. Some models have a "corncob" foregrip, not sure which you prefer.

Mossberg 50521 500SP 12 18 6SH CB PGK PRK for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $265.00

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/i...1/39/39622.jpg

That'd be the one. About $90 cheaper than the one at the pawn shop...if it is the same one. It was a Special. I'm assuming the SP means Special. Yea, I would like the "corncob" foregrip. That is one thing I won't get with the combo. I'm not going to complain though.

You got me thinking twice about my choice for another $40 savings. I like the synthetic to; I'm rough on stuff, but, if I don't get the combo, I'll never go hunting.

Do you know the weight difference of the 500SP w/18" vs. the 500 with wood that I'm looking at?

Thanks

Jpyle 02-13-2010 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuco (Post 229560)
That'd be the one. About $90 cheaper than the one at the pawn shop...if it is the same one. It was a Special. I'm assuming the SP means Special. Yea, I would like the "corncob" foregrip. That is one thing I won't get with the combo. I'm not going to complain though.

You got me thinking twice about my choice for another $40 savings. I like the synthetic to; I'm rough on stuff, but, if I don't get the combo, I'll never go hunting.

Do you know the weight difference of the 500SP w/18" vs. the 500 with wood that I'm looking at?

Thanks

Mossberg has designated some of their tactical HD shotguns SP for Special Purpose. Weight differences should be minimal. Look at the Mossberg website or an online gun dealer site. Both should have the stats, mag capacity, features and weight of the various models. If all else fails head down to the gun shop, Dicks, Cabella or whatever and get a feel for a few different models. If you can't decide save your pennies and get both...:D

Don't worry about the barrel. Mossberg 500s like the Remington 870 have a huge aftermarket for parts. You can always get a different barrel later on, upgrade the trigger group (pops out with one pin) or pretty much customize or change any part on the gun. Best thing is that the parts all come out when you break it down for cleaning so you just put the new ones in as you reassemble. One difference between Mossberg and Remington is the ability to add mag extenders. Unlike Remington, the Mossberg's barrel nut is welded to the barrel and does not come off. In order to up the mag capacity you have to replace both the magazine and the barrel. Most likely not a big deal as you are limited to 2 or 3 rounds in the field in most states and 6 or 7 rounds of 000 buck should be enough for HD unless you live in zombie paradise.

Good luck...


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:59 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.