Mossberg 930 - Remington ? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Mossberg 930 - Remington ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 03:03 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 312 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmaster456 View Post
I'd say the 11-87 is most comparable to the 930. However, the 930 has a "break in" period where it may or may not cycle lighter loads at first until you get around 50-100 rounds through it. Some need more, and some cycle light loads right out of the box.
I have run onto this problem myself. It will fail to cycle about 25% of the time with Winchester target loads. What would you recommend I use to get it trough its break in?
Criminals are never materially handicapped by such rules; the only effect is to disarm the peaceful citizen and put him fully at the mercy of the lawless. Such rules look very pretty on paper; in practice they are as foolish and footless as the attempt of the mice to bell the cat.

Letter to Alice Dalgliesh, the editor who was censoring his manuscript for Red Planet, regarding gun control registration and control Published in 1949

Old 02-06-2013, 11:39 PM   #12

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

930 was Gun of the Year a coupla years ago. It did seem to have some reliability issues at first and has to be kept clean. Remington quality has turned to sh... Ooops, almost gave it away again -- sorry!

Old 02-08-2013, 01:56 AM   #13

When I bought the Mosberg I also picked up a Remington 887 Nitro Tactical. That was the one my wife wanted. Lol. We have had no issues with it at all.

I haven't been shooting long enough at this point to develop any real opinions on weapons other than I like what I own. Not sure I like the hidden hammer on the Glock handguns, but I had the chance to shot one chambered for the .40 s&w. I liked my Sig P220 better, but I only ran two magazines through the Glock.

Criminals are never materially handicapped by such rules; the only effect is to disarm the peaceful citizen and put him fully at the mercy of the lawless. Such rules look very pretty on paper; in practice they are as foolish and footless as the attempt of the mice to bell the cat.

Letter to Alice Dalgliesh, the editor who was censoring his manuscript for Red Planet, regarding gun control registration and control Published in 1949

Old 02-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #14

Liked 149 Times on 114 Posts

Glocks don't have a conventional hammer as such, but a striker. It's a love it or hate it gun in my opinion. I haven't liked every Sig I have seen, but they are all well made guns.

What could have happened... did.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
Glocks don't have a conventional hammer as such, but a striker. It's a love it or hate it gun in my opinion. I haven't liked every Sig I have seen, but they are all well made guns.
Just as a beginner, I have come to the conclusion that if it burns powder and goes bang it can't be all bad.

I think I am going to try to find a couple hundred rounds of #4 buck and or 00 buck to run though the 930. The folks that sold me my 930 sold me a few boxes of #4 in three inch shells for home defense. I have yet to use any of them. I am not sure how much difference there is between 2.75 in and 3. Dose the three just have more black powder or more shot and powder?

Old 02-08-2013, 10:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderingMind View Post
Just as a beginner, I have come to the conclusion that if it burns powder and goes bang it can't be all bad.
You really haven't had much experience. There are some ALL bads out there.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:58 PM   #17

Lol, such as the Carcano rifle?

Still my question stands is there much difference between the 2.75 and three inch shot shells?

Old 02-09-2013, 03:52 AM   #18

Yes. Approximately 1/2 ounce of shot shooting capability. Approximately 1-1/8 ounce difference in factory loaded shot capacity. 2.75 shells run from 7/8 ounces at 1170 FPS up to 1.5 ounces of lead at 1275. Three inch run from about 1-1/8 ounce (in steel) up to over 2 ounces in lead turkey loads. I do not think you really run into a NEED for 3" shells until you get into shooting waterfowl. A lot of people use 3" for turkey too, but I think you can use 2.75" successfully on them. That's pur opinion. Waterfowl requires non-toxic shot and most people use steel and you need 3" steel for anything but close stuff. I have decoys and calls, but sometimes they don't just drop right in like on TV.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:25 AM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2872 Times on 1496 Posts
Likes Given: 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderingMind View Post

I think I am going to try to find a couple hundred rounds of #4 buck and or 00 buck to run though the 930. The folks that sold me my 930 sold me a few boxes of #4 in three inch shells for home defense. I have yet to use any of them. I am not sure how much difference there is between 2.75 in and 3. Dose the three just have more black powder or more shot and powder?
IMHO 3" for home defense is just silly, unless you have a problem with bears invading your home. People are just not that hard to stop. 2.75" OO Bick is more than adequate for two legged vermin at household distances.

3" shells have more powder and more shot. They tend to shoot heavier loads of shot at comparable velocities to 2 3/4" loads. And, they don't have "black powder". They use smokeless powder.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post

IMHO 3" for home defense is just silly, unless you have a problem with bears invading your home. People are just not that hard to stop. 2.75" OO Bick is more than adequate for two legged vermin at household distances.

3" shells have more powder and more shot. They tend to shoot heavier loads of shot at comparable velocities to 2 3/4" loads. And, they don't have "black powder". They use smokeless powder.
Ok, that works for me. I also ended up with several boxes of Winchester 2.75 slug. I plan on trying some of that this week at the range