Mossberg 88 locked up on me today.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Mossberg 88 locked up on me today.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Mossberg 88 locked up on me today.

I finally got around to taking my shotgun to the range today to give it an airing out. First five rounds went fine. Reloaded and went for a second run. After I fired the first round the pump just wouldn't cycle.

The action lock lever was stuck about halfway in and wouldn't move. So obviously the forearm wouldn't move. I tried everything I could think of, short of taking it by the barrel and smacking it on the ground (It did cross my mind).

When I got it home i removed the barrel and tried again, It broke free and finally expended the empty shot shell. I have broken it all the way down, cleaned and oiled, and the action works as well as it always has. This is the only problem I have experienced.

Anyone else have this problem? Insight?

Last edited by Commocarl; 08-06-2012 at 12:43 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-06-2012, 01:18 AM   #2

Liked 159 Times on 120 Posts

What kind of shells were you using? Unless your chamber is really polished, you may run in to issues with the cheapies, and yours isn't the only one.

What could have happened... did.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:37 AM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
What kind of shells were you using? Unless your chamber is really polished, you may run in to issues with the cheapies, and yours isn't the only one.
I was using some Winchester white box, bird shot. It was cheap, and I was only interested in gun function.

What shells should I use?

Old 08-06-2012, 03:47 AM   #4

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 85

how many round thru it? is it broke in?and you do get what you pay for

Old 08-06-2012, 03:52 AM   #5

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 85

carry some remoil with you had a 870 express did the same thing after about 50 rounds just had to give the action a douch and it went back to working

Old 08-06-2012, 06:38 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That's funny my 870 did that rite out the box Wat part did you put oil on

Old 08-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I had a 20ga 1100 that was really picky, I took the barrel off and put a dowel in my cordless drill, cut a slot in the dowel and added a few pieces of 220 grit sand paper and reemed the chamber out a touch. It doesnt take much, just enough to much it shiny. I actually had to do the same thing to the magazine tube. Works great now.

Badshot

Moderator Note: This technique must be used with caution. There can be adverse consequences if not done properly

Last edited by robocop10mm; 08-06-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #8

Liked 1134 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

My son had a shell malfunction during shotgun deer slug season , the brass blew out the side and it caused a lock up, Im not sure if maybe he didnt have the chamber closed all the way before he fired the second round because it happened on his second shot , I heard it go off 50 yards away and it sounded almost like a squib round . Had to unload from the bottom , remove the barrel and finally get it out . PITA but this was on a winchester so I know Im not much help but any chances the chamber wasnt locked shut ?

Old 08-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #9

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commocarl
I finally got around to taking my shotgun to the range today to give it an airing out. First five rounds went fine. Reloaded and went for a second run. After I fired the first round the pump just wouldn't cycle.

The action lock lever was stuck about halfway in and wouldn't move. So obviously the forearm wouldn't move. I tried everything I could think of, short of taking it by the barrel and smacking it on the ground (It did cross my mind).

When I got it home i removed the barrel and tried again, It broke free and finally expended the empty shot shell. I have broken it all the way down, cleaned and oiled, and the action works as well as it always has. This is the only problem I have experienced.

Anyone else have this problem? Insight?
Do you have any aftermarket party like scope or heat shields

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Old 08-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #10

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 246

That problem is not uncommon with the Winchester Universals and White box. I'm not saying it happens to everyone, but it's not rare.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Last edited by gmaster456; 08-07-2012 at 09:59 PM.