Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Mossberg 88 locked up on me today. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/mossberg-88-locked-up-me-today-69709/)

Commocarl 08-05-2012 09:42 PM

Mossberg 88 locked up on me today.

I finally got around to taking my shotgun to the range today to give it an airing out. First five rounds went fine. Reloaded and went for a second run. After I fired the first round the pump just wouldn't cycle.

The action lock lever was stuck about halfway in and wouldn't move. So obviously the forearm wouldn't move. I tried everything I could think of, short of taking it by the barrel and smacking it on the ground (It did cross my mind).

When I got it home i removed the barrel and tried again, It broke free and finally expended the empty shot shell. I have broken it all the way down, cleaned and oiled, and the action works as well as it always has. This is the only problem I have experienced.

Anyone else have this problem? Insight?

Virginian 08-06-2012 12:18 AM

What kind of shells were you using? Unless your chamber is really polished, you may run in to issues with the cheapies, and yours isn't the only one.

Commocarl 08-06-2012 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virginian (Post 894233)
What kind of shells were you using? Unless your chamber is really polished, you may run in to issues with the cheapies, and yours isn't the only one.

I was using some Winchester white box, bird shot. It was cheap, and I was only interested in gun function.

What shells should I use?

tonydewar 08-06-2012 02:47 AM

how many round thru it? is it broke in?and you do get what you pay for

tonydewar 08-06-2012 02:52 AM

carry some remoil with you had a 870 express did the same thing after about 50 rounds just had to give the action a douch and it went back to working

BrooklynFaTs 08-06-2012 05:38 AM

That's funny my 870 did that rite out the box Wat part did you put oil on

Badshot320 08-06-2012 02:31 PM

I had a 20ga 1100 that was really picky, I took the barrel off and put a dowel in my cordless drill, cut a slot in the dowel and added a few pieces of 220 grit sand paper and reemed the chamber out a touch. It doesnt take much, just enough to much it shiny. I actually had to do the same thing to the magazine tube. Works great now.

Badshot

Moderator Note: This technique must be used with caution. There can be adverse consequences if not done properly

purehavoc 08-06-2012 03:26 PM

My son had a shell malfunction during shotgun deer slug season , the brass blew out the side and it caused a lock up, Im not sure if maybe he didnt have the chamber closed all the way before he fired the second round because it happened on his second shot , I heard it go off 50 yards away and it sounded almost like a squib round . Had to unload from the bottom , remove the barrel and finally get it out . PITA but this was on a winchester so I know Im not much help but any chances the chamber wasnt locked shut ?

gearhead396 08-06-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commocarl
I finally got around to taking my shotgun to the range today to give it an airing out. First five rounds went fine. Reloaded and went for a second run. After I fired the first round the pump just wouldn't cycle.

The action lock lever was stuck about halfway in and wouldn't move. So obviously the forearm wouldn't move. I tried everything I could think of, short of taking it by the barrel and smacking it on the ground (It did cross my mind).

When I got it home i removed the barrel and tried again, It broke free and finally expended the empty shot shell. I have broken it all the way down, cleaned and oiled, and the action works as well as it always has. This is the only problem I have experienced.

Anyone else have this problem? Insight?

Do you have any aftermarket party like scope or heat shields

gmaster456 08-06-2012 06:36 PM

That problem is not uncommon with the Winchester Universals and White box. I'm not saying it happens to everyone, but it's not rare.