Mossberg 85b
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Mossberg 85b

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mossberg 85b

Got this gun from my uncle that passed away and it was passed to him from his dad. It has a crack in the wood up front of the stock where the screws are. Does anyone know where I can find one for this gun. I went ahead and refinished the wood anyways and re blued the entire shotgun and it looks good but I would rather get one without the crack

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #2

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Try numrich gun parts

Old 10-18-2012, 09:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by akers06
Try numrich gun parts
I checked them out and they are sold out. I just imagine that they probably won't be getting any more in because it's not a hot item. Thanks tho.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8834 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

Contact Havlin Sales at 636-937-6401 or Havlinsales.com Vic & Cheryl Havlin are THE go-to folks for anything Mossberg. IF they have one, it iss going to run about $100 for an unfinished walnut stock- which is close to the value of the shotgun.

These were utility grade shotguns- the gun of a farmer, mechanic, shopkeeper, young shooter. Durable, reliable, good guns- but not high dollar.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Contact Havlin Sales at 636-937-6401 or Havlinsales.com Vic & Cheryl Havlin are THE go-to folks for anything Mossberg. IF they have one, it iss going to run about $100 for an unfinished walnut stock- which is close to the value of the shotgun.

These were utility grade shotguns- the gun of a farmer, mechanic, shopkeeper, young shooter. Durable, reliable, good guns- but not high dollar.
Checked them out too and they don't have one in stock. I'm in no hurry for one so I might see if they get one in later if I can't find one. I was also wondering can you shoot slugs out of this too? I have the one without a choke or threads for one just a bare bore and herd that you could but unsure if that was true or not. I probably would never do it but any info is good info to know. Thanks again

Old 10-19-2012, 07:23 AM   #6
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1576 Times on 963 Posts
Likes Given: 8106

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckdaddy View Post
Checked them out too and they don't have one in stock. I'm in no hurry for one so I might see if they get one in later if I can't find one. I was also wondering can you shoot slugs out of this too? I have the one without a choke or threads for one just a bare bore and herd that you could but unsure if that was true or not. I probably would never do it but any info is good info to know. Thanks again
I use my 185d and my 185ka Mossbergs for deer hunting here in upstate NY. There are minor differences between them and your 85b. With my 185d, I can take the necks off of 3 beer bottles at 50 yards, and between my dad and I we have taken over 30 deer with one or the other over the last 45 years. Both shotguns still see regular use, and have proven themselves to be strong, accurate, and reliable. Load it with slugs, and let 'er rip!

P.S. I have a friend who has a few old "parts guns" in his shop. I'll get ahold of him ASAP, and if he has what you need I'll shoot you a PM.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Last edited by kfox75; 10-19-2012 at 07:26 AM.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75

I use my 185d and my 185ka Mossbergs for deer hunting here in upstate NY. There are minor differences between them and your 85b. With my 185d, I can take the necks off of 3 beer bottles at 50 yards, and between my dad and I we have taken over 30 deer with one or the other over the last 45 years. Both shotguns still see regular use, and have proven themselves to be strong, accurate, and reliable. Load it with slugs, and let 'er rip!

P.S. I have a friend who has a few old "parts guns" in his shop. I'll get ahold of him ASAP, and if he has what you need I'll shoot you a PM.
Great! Thanks man I really appreciate it!

Old 10-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckdaddy

It should say what choke it is on the barrel...as long as it is modified or larger choke you will be fine shooting slugs through it....and in all honesty nothing will happen if you shoot it through a full choke except the barrel may deform the slug a little and make it not shoot very accurately

Old 10-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #9

Also as far as your stock if you know someone around you that is a good wood worker they should be able to just make you a stock

Old 10-19-2012, 04:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by akers06

It should say what choke it is on the barrel...as long as it is modified or larger choke you will be fine shooting slugs through it....and in all honesty nothing will happen if you shoot it through a full choke except the barrel may deform the slug a little and make it not shoot very accurately
It doesn't say anything on the barrel about a choke. Here are some pics of the work I have done on it, the stamping on the barrel and what it looks like. I did the re blueing and re finished the stock but as you can see the crack is visible
image-652904208.jpg   image-1699104895.jpg   image-974519652.jpg   image-2813189156.jpg   image-1649378396.jpg  

image-2681948429.jpg