Mossberg 835
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Mossberg 835

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2009, 03:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mossberg 835

a few years back i purchased the flyway edition 835. Over the last couple of years i have shot alot of ducks. The gun patterns great for this but the last few times i shot lead shot it would not hold a pattern. Has anyone else had this problem? Is this problem common with using steel? I would like some opinions on what to do. i like the gun and would like to fix the problem. Is the solution in changing to a new choke tube or a new barrel or both? Or maybe it would be better and cheaper to get a different gun to shoot lead. Any one got an opinion on this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-01-2009, 06:04 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I don't hunt, but have read up on chokes. many choke directions state that they are often better suited for steel OR lead, but usually not both. They pattern differently, depending on the type of shot. I would imagine you just need to change out chokes. But again, someone with actual duck hunting experience may have a better answer.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:08 PM   #3

Default 835 choke tubes and steel shot!

The original choke tubes made for the Mossberg 835 were too soft for steel shot and did and will groove the metal and make your pattern go array. I do have one or two that will stand up to your punishment if interested?
e-mail me at mikem@tls.net