Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Mossberg 695 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/mossberg-695-a-74766/)

hillbillygrunt 10-21-2012 09:02 AM

Mossberg 695

Anybody have or shot one? I might be able to pick one up for a pretty decent price but haven't seen or heard of them very much if at all. I heard there was a recall on them when they first came out. Any help would be great.

kfox75 10-22-2012 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillbillygrunt (Post 984297)
Anybody have or shot one? I might be able to pick one up for a pretty decent price but haven't seen or heard of them very much if at all. I heard there was a recall on them when they first came out. Any help would be great.

There was a recall on them when they first came out. It was due to the fact that some of them were discharging when the bolt was being closed over a loaded chamber. Mossberg fixed the issue, but the shotgun never really had much of a following after that. If it was me, I would have it checked over by a compotent gunsmith before handing over my money.

I have 2 of the older smoothbore 20 guages, and they still get regular use for big and small game. The 695 is a good slug gun. I have 3 friends who have them, and have heard no complaits about their 695s. Get ti checked out, and if it is safe to use go for it. Best of luck.

hillbillygrunt 10-22-2012 06:47 AM

I asked the guy who owns it and he said he sent it in and got fixed by Mossberg. I've heard they act alot more like a rifle than a shotgun. Im used to my 870's and wanted a dedicated slug gun. How is your friends in the accuracy dept?

kfox75 10-23-2012 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillbillygrunt (Post 985372)
I asked the guy who owns it and he said he sent it in and got fixed by Mossberg. I've heard they act alot more like a rifle than a shotgun. Im used to my 870's and wanted a dedicated slug gun. How is your friends in the accuracy dept?

With his, he can take out a grapefruit @ 80 yards. Partially the shooter, but also the gun and scope that he uses. His average @ 100 yards is a 2.25 to 2.75 inch group from a rest. Sometimes, when we are checking sights before deer season, he and I will set up 6 beer bottles on a rail in front of the backstop at his range, walk out to 50 yards, and see who can hit the most out of each group of three (offhand, no sticks, no rest, sling only). He and I both hit all three consistently, him with his 695, and me with a 185d. If you're looking for a DSG, I think you would be well served by the 695. Mossberg makes some really great guns for the price.

hillbillygrunt 10-23-2012 09:38 AM

Thanks for the info. Everything I've read said they were good guns. Im going to buy it this week. Im going to put my Nikon slughunter scope on it and hopefully get some rounds out of it this weekend. Deer season is right around the corner.

kfox75 10-23-2012 05:50 PM

No problem, enjoy your new shotgun.