Mossberg 590 issues
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Mossberg 590 issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 04:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Mossberg 590 issues

Hey all,

I have a new Mossy 590a1. i put about 45 rounds through it and have had an issue since the 5th round was shot out of it.

the magazine doesnt eject properly so the round just sits in the magazine after pumping after each shot and so it fails to load into the chamber about 75 percent of the time.

i lubed it up but no difference.

has anyone else had any issues like this?

any suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-20-2013, 04:09 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

is it a brand new shotgun, straight from the dealer? have you taken it apart and cleaned it to remove all the extra oil etc? It is a used gun?

Old 08-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna
is it a brand new shotgun, straight from the dealer? have you taken it apart and cleaned it to remove all the extra oil etc? It is a used gun?
It is new from dealer.

I wasn't able to take it apart yet because the pistal grip is preventing the trigger from being removed. I was not able to find a utube video on how to remove the pistol grip on this model.
Going to call mossberg today but I'm surprised bc mossbergs have a good reputation. Very disappointed.

Do you think the oils may be causing this.?

Any help is appreciated.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

If I remember correctly you need a long screwdriver and the screw that holds the pistol grip and stock on is in the butt. Pull off the pad and take a peak. Should be two Phillips head screws holding the pad on. Put some oil on the screwdriver so you don't tear up the pad.
Yes the factory oils and whatever else that could be in there is a likely candidate for issues. You always want to strip and clean a new gun before use. If you don't go through it how do you know it is safe to shoot?
The other likely issue is short cycling or babying the gun. Pumps like it rough, rack it like a man.

I don't need No stinking signature.

rn-cindy Likes This 
Old 08-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
If I remember correctly you need a long screwdriver and the screw that holds the pistol grip and stock on is in the butt. Pull off the pad and take a peak. Should be two Phillips head screws holding the pad on. Put some oil on the screwdriver so you don't tear up the pad.
Yes the factory oils and whatever else that could be in there is a likely candidate for issues. You always want to strip and clean a new gun before use. If you don't go through it how do you know it is safe to shoot?
The other likely issue is short cycling or babying the gun. Pumps like it rough, rack it like a man.
I did see the screw in the back but wanted to make sure that was the way to go before I start breaking it down.

Never new that new guns need to be cleaned before shooting. But don't I have to put oils on all the parts after cleaning it?

Old 08-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #6
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Anything that contacts another surface should have a light coat Absolutely.
There could be machining residue in there as well as bits of metal and even packing material. Always go through a new gun.

Last edited by mountainman13; 08-20-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
There could be machining residue in there as well as bits of metal and even packing material. Always go through a new gun.
Thanks will do. My brother In law has way more gun knowledge then eye. He took a look at it and He seems to think there maybe something malfunctioning because there is already some spots showing wear in weird place near the magazine area in the action.

But I will break it down and clean it before sending to mossberg.

Ty mountain man.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Glad to help.
You may want to post pics once you have it apart. The guys here may be able to save you the hassle of shipping out the gun.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #9

Liked 1904 Times on 1068 Posts
Likes Given: 2655

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
RG says check your spent shells for black streaks going up the side. or rough spots on the brass. Take some scotch-brite, and #9, and clean the chamber real good. Factory coatings to prevent rust while in storage will become sticky when heated up on a new gun, mixed with a little fouling will cause that.

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

Old 08-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn-cindy

RG says check your spent shells for black streaks going up the side. or rough spots on the brass. Take some scotch-brite, and #9, and clean the chamber real good. Factory coatings to prevent rust while in storage will become sticky when heated up on a new gun, mixed with a little fouling will cause that.
That's interesting. I thought they were ready to shoot brand new. Just like my pistols but shoties do get much hotter.

Btw. The loading issue happens when the gun is cold as well. Which makes me feel like could be something else. But I will post pics of the parts when I clean it.

Thanks everyone.