Mossberg 500 turkey shoot barrle?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Mossberg 500 turkey shoot barrle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default Mossberg 500 turkey shoot barrle?

I have a Mossberg 500. It's just another gun laying around. I want to use it for turkey shoots this year. What is the longest barrel I can get for it and where to find the best price? I don't really know much about shot guns or chokes so what is the recommended choke for the smallest shot pattern at distance?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1930 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

28 inch barrel and full choke, and all you need is the turkeys.. And shot shells.....Turkey loads.....

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 10-08-2012, 12:29 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9148 Times on 3950 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Will- unless I misunderstood, this guy is looking for gear for a turkey SHOOT, not for turkey HUNTING.

Barrel length will not be as important as choke. For most of these, shooters are going for extra full (a non standard choke that holds a REALLY tight pattern).

I have one gun I have done a few shoots with- H&R 348 Gamester- with a 32 inch full choke bbl. But back in the day I watched my Dad win 7 of the 9 matches at a turkey shoot with a Fox Sterlingworth side by side. Dad knew where the pattern for that gun fell.

Patten whatever gun you plan to use with the shells they use (commonly low brass field loads, fine shot) and do so at the distance they shoot (around here, 20 yards) You DO need to aim, not just point. So know exactly where you should be aiming on that little card.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:42 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Ok. It is a paper target and they supply the ammo. Really small shot. So 28" is good with a full choke? A longer barrel won't help? Is there one? Thanks.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:45 AM   #5

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I put a 28" full choke barrel on my slug gun so I can use the scope. If I don't get disqualified for the wad going through the target I just won another ham or turkey. If other shooters want to use your gun let them. There is luck involved with winning turkey shoots. No bad mojo!!

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-08-2012, 01:38 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1930 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

C 3 your right, and they do make a choke that strips the wad from the lead when it leaves the barrel.

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........