Mossberg 500 Rolling Thunder
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Mossberg 500 Rolling Thunder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2014, 02:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Default Mossberg 500 Rolling Thunder

I got a good deal on this particular shotgun. It does have a few quirks that I am not quite sure about. I am curious to hear some of your ideas and thoughts. This particular shotgun will be strictly a defense gun that I will shoot every now and then out in the country but not for hunting purposes.

First off, it has a pistol grip only. I like the fact that it cuts down on the overall length which is nice as far as being able to go under a truck seat. If it's in the home then I would assume maneuverability in the house would be improved. I don't know if that would ever really come into play though. I'm thinking a collapsible AR style stock might be a better option. If I kept the pistol grip only what would be a good defense round that wouldn't absolutely bang up my wrist when practicing with what I would keep in it?

Secondly it has a barrel stabilizer. Does this actually serve any purpose whatsoever? I put some low recoil rounds through it and the recoil was very manageable with #7 birdshot. Not sure if it really has any impact though at all practically.

With this being an 18.5" smooth barrel with cylinder choke, how would one expect the accuracy to be with slugs?

Does anyone have this particular model of Mossberg? What are your thoughts having actually used it. Thanks in advance!imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1393082096.351627.jpg

The picture says 23" barrel but mine is 18.5".

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Last edited by Okie_6Shooter; 02-22-2014 at 02:19 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-22-2014, 02:23 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21584 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

just out of curiosity, have you ever shot a shotgun with only a pistol grip?

i have. i even owned one once. i won't ever own another one. most people won't after shooting one. they look cool and such and in theory are more easily manueverable in tighter confines, but are harder to aim and hard on wrists. some people like them.

IMO a shotgun with a pistol gripped butt stock would be a better option.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:27 PM   #3

Default Mossberg 500 Rolling Thunder

I took it and shot it for the first time after so bought it. That was the first time Id shot a pistol grip. Using reduced recoil #7 birdshot it was ok to handle. I know a true defense round would be a whole different story. If there is no real advantage to the pistol grip then I was thinking about either a collapsible or folding stock. I don't want to add a bunch of length but I was the gun to be practical moreso than just "cool".

I'm really curious about the barrel stabilizer and if it serves any real purpose.

Last edited by Okie_6Shooter; 02-22-2014 at 02:36 PM.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #4

Liked 170 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I own several pistol grip only shotguns and several short barrel shotguns with butt stocks and have no problem with felt recoil or the ability to hit selected targets with slugs or shot. It does take practice using the point and shoot method just as it does with a handgun.

I see no difference in the felt recoil and muzzle rise of the Rolling Thunder and the PG only Mossberg 500 Persuader. IMO the barrel stabilizer is more for looks than function.

US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

Old 02-22-2014, 02:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
I see no difference in the felt recoil and muzzle rise of the Rolling Thunder and the PG only Mossberg 500 Persuader. IMO the barrel stabilizer is more for looks than function.

Dangit! I do not want to be on mall ninja status. Can someone please rationalize that it has an actual use lol

Old 02-22-2014, 05:48 PM   #6

Liked 132 Times on 102 Posts

In my opinion, pistol grip only shotguns are great for 107 pound Hollywood chickies blowing away bad guys with blanks. Get a buttstock and lose that "stabilizer". 500 is a solid platform. For genuine home defense you don't need any tactical do dads.

What could have happened... did.

People Like This 
Old 02-22-2014, 06:21 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5685 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 377

The mossberg 500 is a good pump gun. Take that ridiculous muzzle device off put a good stock in place of the useless pistol grip and you have a good shotgun. Sell the grip and muzzle device on gunbroker...

Pistol grips are useless on shotguns unless you are doing breaching of doors it gives leverage for that. Its why the marines have them on the benellis.

Despite popular myth you have to aim a shotgun. No stock means any hits you get are luck.

Cylinder bore will get deer killing accuracy to 100yds.

2 3/4 00buck is the best defensive load for 12ga.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-23-2014, 03:33 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

It looks like that stabilizer thing adds length to the gun. Seems counter-intuitive, since you want a small, maneuverable platform.

Personally I'm not a fan of pistol grips or even collapsing/telescoping stocks on shotguns. Not my tastes. But I understand the advantage if your goal is a shorter gun.

It was time for a new signature. This is what you get.

Always have clean socks.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:42 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5685 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 377

This is what I have on my mossberg 590
http://www.speedfeedinc.com/productsmain.html

Mine I keep loaded with 2 3/4 00buck with 4 2 3/4 slugs in the stock shell holders. Open the action tilt out the buck and drop in a slug if needed. Can't do that with pistol grip. Gives me 12 rounds on the gun without a bulky clumsy side caddy.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-23-2014, 03:47 AM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21584 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
This is what I have on my mossberg 590
http://www.speedfeedinc.com/productsmain.html

Mine I keep loaded with 2 3/4 00buck with 4 2 3/4 slugs in the stock shell holders. Open the action tilt out the buck and drop in a slug if needed. Can't do that with pistol grip. Gives me 12 rounds on the gun without a bulky clumsy side caddy.
i have the Winchester SXP Defender with the 18.5" barrel and a five round tube magazine, and uses the buttstock shell carrier with five rounds.

if i need more than that 10 rounds for a home invasion, i am in deep doodoo anyways!