Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Mossberg 500 or Remington 870

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 12:43 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 694 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 714

Quote:
Originally Posted by molonlabexx View Post
Check out the new CZ612 model. It is coming very soon later in the month. 870's I have heard are too heavy. If anything, a mossberg 500. 870 is more of a police duty firearm TBH I am not an expert, just giving my philosophy.
You're the Same person that thinks the 91/30 w/ bayonet is suited for CQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
The sling is anything BUT serious -- it's a pendulum pulling the gun off target.
Now if it held a beer or 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
To be honest, just pick one. Both are good quality shotguns, both are extremely reliable, and you would be happy with either one. You can't really go wrong with a 500 or an 870.

Best answer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Skrb_25 View Post
I have 2 500's.i like the fact that it can be upgraded easier and more parts readily available.
Upgrade?? It is a shotgun!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
I have a Mossy 590a1 and I'm glad I have it, but I have a really hard time finding extras and parts and add-ons that are designed for it.

As soon as I can, I'd like to add an 870 to my collection. The 870 is like the Glock of the shotgun world, meaning that everybody makes parts for the 870.
If you need to replace parts, I'd walk away.

This is my 500. Not pretty, but very functional from waterfowl to HD. Bought it used 20 years ago. All the internal parts are Anodized.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:35 AM   #32

Liked 574 Times on 306 Posts

Jpatersonh,

Not everybody drinks the same beer either. To each his own! If your happy with a old school wood grain, that's good for you, but others like more modern, lightweight , ergonomic parts. Some people don't have the luxury of hunting, or shooting in the woods. We need it for home defense, or if SHTF.So we build to our preference.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:44 AM   #33

Liked 1766 Times on 985 Posts
Likes Given: 1161

I have a Mossberg 500. I like mine. Lots of accessories to choose from. But I believe the Remington is the same way.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:04 AM   #34

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967
I have a Mossberg 500. I like mine. Lots of accessories to choose from. But I believe the Remington is the same way.
They pretty much are the same. There are ONLY TWO THINGS that made me choose the remington over the mossberg. They were sitting side by side at gander mountain. Both had a pistol grip with a shoulder stock. 1st, the mossberg rattled and felt somewhat more flimsy. It was "loose" is the best way i can describe it. 2nd, the safety on the remington with a pistol grip is 100 times easier to use than a mossberg with a pistol grip.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:08 AM   #35

Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts

Older Remington , newer mossy or old school ithaca

Old 02-23-2013, 04:35 AM   #36
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 762 View Post
yeah, it's different, that's what i was going for. that and the green color looked darker on the duracoat website LOL. thinking about going back with another color or two and putting pattern on it. it's great though, dont have to worry about finger prints!

x2 on that, that's the only thing i dont like about the 500 and the only reason i havent put a pistol grip on mine.
Dude I think it came out great. I'm all for personalization of ones own stuff. I had a good friend in high school, his brother owned an offroad jeep shop. They painted it General Lee Orange, and we called it the Great Pumpkin since it had 6" of lift and 35" tires.

And as I've said before, the 870 is the best selling shotgun platform in history. LEA and tactical teams pick them unanimously over all other available products for a reason. Remington is the only shotgun I've ever owned. Right now I have Remington 1100 Lt 20 gauge (this was my first shotgun, given to me by my dad at like age 10) as well as an 870 express magnum combo ( the combo came with a bird barrel and deer barrel and it is easily interchangeable) and I also have an 870 Express .410. The last one I have is one I just got handed down to me from the family, a Stevens Model 820B 12 gauge. (it came to me needed repairs, fires a shell everytime you pump the action)

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Last edited by GeneralPatton; 02-23-2013 at 04:44 AM.
762 Likes This 
Old 02-23-2013, 10:58 AM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1935 Times on 1006 Posts
Likes Given: 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by molonlabexx
Check out the new CZ612 model. It is coming very soon later in the month. 870's I have heard are too heavy. If anything, a mossberg 500. 870 is more of a police duty firearm TBH I am not an expert, just giving my philosophy.
870 a police shotgun? Yes. But the 870 Is the most widely used hunting shotgun out there. Upland game, waterfowl, deer......

Mossberg 500s weight between 5.5 and 7.5 lbs, depending on the configuration. 870s run about a pound heavier. Wingmasters are lighter. Synthetic stocks obviously lighter.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #38

Liked 694 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Skrb_25 View Post
Jpatersonh,

Not everybody drinks the same beer either. To each his own! If your happy with a old school wood grain, that's good for you, but others like more modern, lightweight , ergonomic parts. Some people don't have the luxury of hunting, or shooting in the woods. We need it for home defense, or if SHTF.So we build to our preference.
Nothing wrong with building what suits your needs. My comment was to upgrades and parts, everything has to be an erector set these days. The best deterrent to any would be robber or worse bad guy is hearing the slide rack on a shotgun, no matter the configuration. I've fired a pistol grip shotgun before, no stock. I just find they are not practical for anything else but very close range. Put a stock on that shotgun and go with #4 lead and it is a 50 yard hell raiser. When I lived in the NY metro area, I kept a single barrel break action 12ga w/ full choke in the corner. I understand city dwelling very well. I grew up there. That old Mossberg w/ a 20" barrel is very light, very fast to swing. It just seems that the industry has brainwashed people into thinking they need a door breaching shotgun that is all black w/ a pistol grip. When it comes to firearms it is about being proficient with what you have. All the "upgrades" in the world do you no good if you can't use the firearm effectively. Both of the shotguns will do anything you want them to, both can change out stocks easily, both are reliable. I guess I am old school. I like to be able to put a stock to my shoulder and hit my target every time, no guess work.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #39

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

What about semi-auto? I am looking for my first semi-auto shotgun and cant decide whether a Mossy or a Remy. I will go full tactical over practical. This is will not be home defense and I wont be shooting slugs so I dont need one rifled.

I currently just finished by Winchester 1300 Defender and am looking so stay at an 18 tube with 7+1....

Old 02-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #40

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
I have a Mossy 590a1 and I'm glad I have it, but I have a really hard time finding extras and parts and add-ons that are designed for it.

As soon as I can, I'd like to add an 870 to my collection. The 870 is like the Glock of the shotgun world, meaning that everybody makes parts for the 870.
CHLChris, they are the same in that they have their fanatic fanboys who defend them no matter what, however, Glocks are reliable (if only as accurate).