Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Mossberg 500 rant! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/mossberg-500-rant-93784/)

colmustard 07-12-2013 03:25 AM

Mossberg 500 rant!

Ok I am an Remington 870 shooter so was not familiar with the moss 500. Well I was out sport clay shooting with a friend and noticed they could not put more than 2 rounds into their mag tube. Yes I know this is due to a stopper for hunting laws, I have one for my 870 when I hunt.

But the kicker is, why does Mossberg make it so hard to get to that safety plug? On a Remington all you do is unscrew the cap on top of the tube and pull the barrel then pull the spring along with stopper out. Take stopper out and replace spring. Do the reverse when it is time for hunting season. This takes 2 min.

But the Mossberg no way! You cannot unscrew the top of the mag tube!? How weird is that? Sorry rant over, just thought it was so weird and it just makes it more complicated.

SSGN_Doc 07-12-2013 03:39 AM

I didn't find it hard to remove at all. Unscrew the barrel retaining screw, tip the shotgun downward until the plug hits the screw hole. Remove the plug, and replace the barrel. Probably a minute or so in reality. Maybe it just gets easier the more times I do it. But really don't find it more difficult than my 870.

colmustard 07-12-2013 07:24 AM

Yes but the fact that you cannot easily take the spring out is what also bothers me. When I clean a firearm, I disassemble and check all parts including the spring. That design makes it rather a pain to check your spring and make sure that there are no cracks in it.

Virginian 07-12-2013 10:23 AM

Different designs is all. They both have a pretty strong following, having outsold every other shotgun design in history combined, between them.

SSGN_Doc 07-12-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colmustard (Post 1302233)
Yes but the fact that you cannot easily take the spring out is what also bothers me. When I clean a firearm, I disassemble and check all parts including the spring. That design makes it rather a pain to check your spring and make sure that there are no cracks in it.

But try changing a dented mag tube out on an 870.

colmustard 07-12-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc (Post 1302335)
But try changing a dented mag tube out on an 870.

LOL you got me there! :) Would not want to do that!

SSGN_Doc 07-12-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colmustard (Post 1302529)
LOL you got me there! :) Would not want to do that!

Both guns have their strengths and weaknesses. I like them both, learned to live with either.

bikerlbf406 07-12-2013 08:59 PM

I know I took the stopper out of my 500, and so did by dad......took less then 5 minutes for both. (we don't hunt)

Virginian 07-12-2013 10:34 PM

Really not that hard NOT to dent the mag tube on an 870 either.

SSGN_Doc 07-13-2013 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virginian (Post 1302727)
Really not that hard NOT to dent the mag tube on an 870 either.

True. Just making a point. I did see a 870 at a shop that was selling cheap. I asked why, they pointed out the mag tube that had a dent, slowing only one round in the mag a d causing the spring to stick. Said it took special tool to remove it to get the dent out. Apparently the previous owner griped or slipped entering his duck blind and got his weight plus what he was carrying on the tube and an edge of the duck blind framework. I passed on that project but leaned of a trick to get the dent out without removing the tube. If I find another wing master at that price with the same problem, I'll pick it up.