Mossberg 500 questions

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Mossberg 500 questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Default Mossberg 500 questions

I just bought a new Mossberg 500 with the wood finish and hunting barrel. I have a few questions of ignorance as this is my first pump shotgun. I have my first single shot .20 ga and an old BP shotgun but have not owned a pump shotgun before.

1. What are ghost ring sights and do I need them?
2. Why does it have a gold trigger?
3. What mods would you do to it? I have asked Stalkingbear a few questions via PM.

Thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-10-2010, 04:21 PM   #2

What are you planning on using the shot gun for home defense or hunting?

Old 08-10-2010, 05:12 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, I would have to also ask the application for the firearm before I could answer number 3.

1.- This is a type of quick acquisition sight that has become very popular, especially with the shotgun for home defense crowd. The rear sight is a lighted/light retaining/iridium ring that is quite thin. The front post sight is thicker, and also has a vertical vial of the same lighted/light retaining type stuff.

The sales pitch is that the thick front post is put on the target easily and the thin rear ring is easy to line up, thus making finding your target quicker.

I like them, but I don't have a set on my shotgun because I don't use it for home defense or anything like that.

2. - Complete loss. I have no idea.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I've been VERY happy with some accessories like these: SHT-003 - Side Saddle Fits Mossberg 500 or 590 or 600 Shotguns Holds Six Shells no Gunsmithing
69463 - Mossberg 500 and 590 Speedfeed IV Tactical Stock Set Black Synthetic (mine isn't the "speedfeed" model)
I also added a 18.5" barrel. I kept my original barrel for hunting use.
These accessories are of the home defense variety; for hunting, get ammo.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:42 PM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I would look at getting the shorter barrel, if for home defense. Some don't like the ghost ring sights myself included. Not needed for hd.

No idea why a gold trigger.

Upgrades for a shotty? Shell holder like 'gello posted and that is it, imo. There are aftermarket stocks, poistol grips and the like, but I don't see a need. If you like them, then go for it.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-10-2010, 06:49 PM   #6

It is going to be a dual purpose shotgun, so I will get the shorter barrel as suggested and probably forego the ghost ring sights. I can aquire a target in an HD situation without them.

Does the side saddle gello showed screw into the gun? If not, how is it secured? The side saddle looks handy. I have also seen some soft ones that attach over the butt. Any thoughts on those?

I also think I will change out the plastic safety as stalkingbear suggested in a PM.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:54 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroxAZ View Post
Does the side saddle gello showed screw into the gun? If not, how is it secured? The side saddle looks handy. I have also seen some soft ones that attach over the butt. Any thoughts on those?

I also think I will change out the plastic safety as stalkingbear suggested in a PM.
The side saddle thingy i ordered uses some existing screws on the side of the receiver. If you rack the slide back, you can see one inside the receiver, kinda near the front; the other one i remember was above the trigger on the side of the receiver & was replaced by a longer than stock screw. I like the saddle very much; i incorrectly thought it would feel unbalanced. I have had the stretch-over-the stock type of shell holder & it stretched out after a while. The side saddle keeps the shells really close to the loading portal for the tube, like 2" close.

Mine is an older version; not sure about a plastic safety.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:31 PM   #8

Thanks for the feedback on the side saddle gello.