Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   mossberg 500 Question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/mossberg-500-question-19719/)

Mitch_H 11-02-2009 09:23 PM

mossberg 500 Question

Kind of a gunsmithing question, but I've got a mossy 500 12 guage, It was the two barrel set, 18 1/2" cylinder bore and 26 or 28" mod barrel. I like the handiness of the 18 1/2" but cylinder bore is kind of worthless IMO. Could a guy thread the barrel to fit remington style chokes? I have an 870 with a full line of chokes. My father-in-law is a machinist, and my old man is pretty handy with a lathe, so if anyone has any info or suggestions, that'd be awesome. thanks in advance.

orangello 11-02-2009 09:27 PM

I don't think i understand why you would want to choke the shorter barrel? Are you planning on hunting with a barrel marketed/designed more for close range and/or home defense use?

I have a similar setup & have found the pattern of shot from even target loads to be not much larger than a plate at 20 yards, maybe mine is weird or i had weird ammo.

Mitch_H 11-02-2009 09:33 PM

yeah, I'm looking to hunt with it, rabbit, squirrel, bird, etc. Just trying to make a little more versitile. With my setup, the short barrel's effective range is 10-15 yards. at twenty it's reaching a 2ft+ pattern. Granted I'm just shooting cheap target loads. I know the barrel is designed for self defence, but it's not my personal choice for that.

skullcrusher 11-02-2009 09:49 PM

If the barrel is indicated to zero on a programmable or cycle lathe, there should be no issue with cutting threads as long as you know the specs.

Some people may even use a die series....

I'm not sure, but I would think that some states have modifacation laws. Some places are kinda funny that way...

Mitch_H 11-02-2009 09:52 PM

So do you think it'd actually work? or does a Cylinder bore vs a choked barrel have different Inside diameters, or tapers? I really don't know a lot about shotguns.

BigByrd47119 11-02-2009 11:26 PM

Mossberg 500 series is a very popular model of shotgun. My first thought is yes, you can. However, you would probably want to call a local gunsmith shop or even a local gun store. They should be able to tell you yes or no based on the information youv posted here.

skullcrusher 11-02-2009 11:43 PM

If also don't know enough about machining either, then I agree with BigByrd and consult a gunsmith. I did specify knowing the specs first.

Mitch_H 11-02-2009 11:53 PM

I guess I'll just have to mic everything out when i get back into town. as long as i have enough material on the barrel after machining it to fit flush to barrel, i'll be fine.

UnderFire 11-03-2009 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch_H (Post 181616)
I guess I'll just have to mic everything out when i get back into town. as long as i have enough material on the barrel after machining it to fit flush to barrel, i'll be fine.

Not to take anything away from you, your father or father-in-law, but when altering a firearm it's best to leave it to the ones that know/have studied; ammo ballistics, functioning of firearms, dynamics of shotgun barrels, the firing & effects, etc.

Here in Florida shotguns are very popular. There's a place that can help you with your project. Go to: Rhino Gun Cases, Inc, Turkey chokes and shotgun chokes on the top tool bar click on Gunsmith and Barrel Work

This is a quote from the website...
Cut, tap and thread barrel $115/barrel

Rhino chokes are made here in Florida and very popular around here.
High quality, proven performance, that's the only choke I'll use for all my shotgun's needs.

skullcrusher 11-03-2009 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch_H (Post 181616)

Do you have a set of id mics or quality bore gauge? Also, keep in mind that fine threads are best cut with an insert made for the fine threads and high tpi.