Mossberg 500 problems - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Mossberg 500 problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 12:39 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by p35bhp55 View Post

Dunno about Benelli, but have to ask...Which Winchester? The real one, the USRAC one (which I have) or is there a new FN Winchester?
I'm talking about the real Winchester....the 1200, 120, and 1300

Old 05-23-2013, 12:41 AM   #32

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
What difference does it make? The real Winchester went out of business a long time ago. Now they just pass the name around from marketing firm to marketing firm. YOU can lease it and slap it on pretty much whatever you want. Look arounf the sporting-goods dept. and Walmart!!!

Truth is there are no Winchester designers any more. No Winchester plant, property, or equipment. No skilled Winchester labor. No Winchester management. It's all gone. Good luck with buying that recommendation...
Who said anything about buying a new one I was referring to the older 1200,120, and 1300 which are 10x the gun any 500 is or was

Old 05-23-2013, 12:43 AM   #33

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Sorry, what was? Where are they? What happened to them!? LOL
Remington and the 870 are next...

Old 05-23-2013, 12:51 AM   #34

Liked 743 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
What difference does it make? The real Winchester went out of business a long time ago. Now they just pass the name around from marketing firm to marketing firm. YOU can lease it and slap it on pretty much whatever you want. Look arounf the sporting-goods dept. and Walmart!!!

Truth is there are no Winchester designers any more. No Winchester plant, property, or equipment. No skilled Winchester labor. No Winchester management. It's all gone. Good luck with buying that recommendation...
Thats true...the Winchester brand has been farmed out like an old truck stop ho..Put on cheap chinese knives/lawn chairs/tooth brushes/etc

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Old 05-23-2013, 11:24 PM   #35

Liked 57 Times on 38 Posts

And the verdict is.......

I used a screw that was just a bit too long. Ripped trough all my gear, found a smaller one and it performs a proper functions check... There is thunder and lightning right now. Perfect opportunity to try it out jk

Last edited by BigRedUSMC; 05-24-2013 at 12:50 AM.
racer_x Likes This 
Old 05-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #36

Excellent BigRed. Glad I could help. What did the aftermarket screw rip through tho?

Can we make sure you didn't damage anything important!? I'd hate to see you find you impacted otherwise absolute reliabilty ('cept for the resin safety switch). We have all the whining-out-of-the-box 870 Express owners we can deal with until Remington goes at least Chapter 11...

Old 05-27-2013, 06:58 AM   #37

Liked 114 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 143

http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/receiver-action-parts/safety-parts/safeties/mossberg-500-safety-button-prod9476.aspx

Get a metal safety if it bothers ya...Numrich sells Mossberg safety parts by the bag, that's the route we took.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #38
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1770 Times on 1090 Posts
Likes Given: 9813

Quote:
Excellent BigRed. Glad I could help. What did the aftermarket screw rip through tho?

Can we make sure you didn't damage anything important!? I'd hate to see you find you impacted otherwise absolute reliabilty ('cept for the resin safety switch). We have all the whining-out-of-the-box 870 Express owners we can deal with until Remington goes at least Chapter 11...
Hey Hocka. Would you please post some links to some actual evidence of how and why the 870s suck more than, in your opinion, any other brand. After all, this was a thread about a Mossberg problem, (which I do give you props for helping the OP find the problem and solve it) and you were the first to bring Remington into it. Every brand out there sucks in someones opinion, even your ever precious Mossberg, but all I have found so far is forum posts about problems with every brand and model that I have plugged into Google, with the exception of the 495 series from Mossberg. I want proof.

Edit: Wrong about the 496, it was the 695. Recall was due to the shotgun firing upon bolt closure. Scary thought to say the least.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

Last edited by kfox75; 05-27-2013 at 09:48 AM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #39

Kfox, I am not a Mossberg salesperson. But I am a shotgunner, can read, observe, intuit, reason, and even count past my 10 clean fingers. Unlike our trolls.

My point was we all spend enough time answering posts from guys with 870 Express problems. OK, let's agree on a generic 870 response to all 870-problem posts: "empty the magazine if you can but watch your fingers, be careful slamming the gun butt-down onto concrete by the forearm, sell the cleared gun to the next dupe, consider yourself lucky you didn't have to rely on it, and now buy something better for less money."

Do we have common ground now?

Old 05-27-2013, 06:36 PM   #40

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I normally avoid brand vs. brand warfare (though I do laugh at it but the OP had a legitimate issue with a firearm that hocka helped diagnose. It was a user errror...not a function/brand error. I get that your comments extend far beyond this thread...but give the OP a break from it...the firearm may not be fixed yet!

We could all find issues stated online with every gun..every caliber... It comes down to personal preference. It does seem that conventional wisdom says that Remington is not what they used to be..but then again..most things are not. We live in a consumable society and the only way to guarantee quality craftsmanship with anything is to buy it custom...imo

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

People Like This