Mossberg 500 problems
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Mossberg 500 problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 57 Times on 38 Posts

So I was checking my shotgun out yesterday and I was doing a functions check...major problems. It'll pump but when I take the safety off I can't pull the trigger. There is no click, no movement in the trigger at all and the hammer doesn't fall. I have no idea what's wrong. I only shot it once and I'm pretty pissed. Any help? Thanks guys

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2929 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 1747

Only ideas I have is to take it to a qualified gunsmith, or call Mossberg customer service.

We are all biodegradable.

Ruger, don't leave home without it.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedUSMC View Post
So I was checking my shotgun out yesterday and I was doing a functions check...major problems. It'll pump but when I take the safety off I can't pull the trigger. There is no click, no movement in the trigger at all and the hammer doesn't fall. I have no idea what's wrong. I only shot it once and I'm pretty pissed. Any help? Thanks guys
I have a Mossberg 590A1 that has two safety devices on it. Maybe the one near the trigger guard isn't activated.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #4

It's just the one safety but I feel like something in it is not working properly

Old 05-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #5

Liked 753 Times on 587 Posts

navy here...

drop your trigger and look for a stray pellet in the sear or works.

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

HankStone Likes This 
Old 05-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski
navy here...

drop your trigger and look for a stray pellet in the sear or works.
Thanks
Will do

Old 05-20-2013, 03:20 PM   #7

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

BigRed;
I'm trying to visualize whirled peas.

No, the thumb safety. Now, I know some people take the safety apart and reintall it wrong, so much so Mossberg has a oneway screw there and onlt sells replacement parts to "gunsmiths." Could be the issue that someone bubba'd it. Also, the mechanism simply blocks a bar in the trigger assembly that in the forward position precludes firing. After disassembly you'll see this at the back of the trigger assembly. If someone bent this by putting on an aftermarket stock incorrectly they'd have had to put alot of pressure on the too-long stock screw. Just thinking that a too-long stock screw in it now could impinge in the trigger assembly safety bar and prevent it from moving at all.

Is it the original stock? If it was removed was it replaced with all it's parts like washers!?

Old 05-20-2013, 05:29 PM   #8

Liked 113 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 143

Is your gun new or used and have there been any changes made? What HockaLouis posted above with happen in a second. I put a GG&G sling mount between my stock and receiver with a new bolt and rendered my 500 inoperable. If it's nothing like that then you can remove the trigger by drifting out the pin that sits at the bottom rear of the receiver and tilting it out from the back. There are two more or less flat bars in slots in the receiver take note of which goes where because they will probably fall out as you work, they just slide back in.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis
BigRed;
I'm trying to visualize whirled peas.

No, the thumb safety. Now, I know some people take the safety apart and reintall it wrong, so much so Mossberg has a oneway screw there and onlt sells replacement parts to "gunsmiths." Could be the issue that someone bubba'd it. Also, the mechanism simply blocks a bar in the trigger assembly that in the forward position precludes firing. After disassembly you'll see this at the back of the trigger assembly. If someone bent this by putting on an aftermarket stock incorrectly they'd have had to put alot of pressure on the too-long stock screw. Just thinking that a too-long stock screw in it now could impinge in the trigger assembly safety bar and prevent it from moving at all.

Is it the original stock? If it was removed was it replaced with all it's parts like washers!?
I did put an ATI stock on it
You had my interest but now you have my attention. Dumb it down marine corps style lol
Old 05-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #10

Liked 753 Times on 587 Posts

ah haaaa!
the plot thickens!
the classic backyard mechanic mod1 mk2 will do it everytime.

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Anna_Purna Likes This