Mossberg 500 not loading shells


Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Mossberg 500 not loading shells

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 04:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
GlockRenegade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 603
Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

Default Mossberg 500 not loading shells

Ok so my mossberg 500 is no longer loading the shells from the tube to the action. There is a lever or steel rod that is pushed in by what I will guess is the feed ramp. Once that lever is pushed in, the shell pops out into the feed ramp, then into the action, then into the barrel as you rack the slide. Why isn't it poping out of the mag tube into the feed ramp??



__________________
GlockRenegade is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 04-25-2013, 04:07 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
GlockRenegade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 603
Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

Default

Here's a pick

forumrunner_20130424_230620.jpg



__________________
GlockRenegade is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:09 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
tCan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wake, NC
Posts: 1,128
Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Default

IIRC in the 870 the mechanism that pushes the shell stop out of the way is in the trigger group. Check yours? I don't own a 500.

__________________
[Remington 870 12GA][Stoeger Model 3500 12GA][Savage 116 .30-06][Savage Model 10 Bull Barrel .223][Marlin 336SS .30-30][Marlin 39A .22][Marlin Model 60 22LR][Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm][Ruger MkIII 22LR]

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary
tCan is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:11 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
GlockRenegade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 603
Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

Default

Failure to feed I guess

forumrunner_20130424_230743.jpg   forumrunner_20130424_230835.jpg   forumrunner_20130424_230935.jpg  
__________________
GlockRenegade is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:12 AM   #5
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kfox75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Erie County PA,
Posts: 2,517
Liked 1577 Times on 964 Posts
Likes Given: 8154

Default

This may sound kinda dumb, but here goes. Are the two levers that sit in the side grooves inside the receiver in the right grooves? Or could one be slightly bent? Try field stripping the shotgun and reassembling it again. One of the shell blocking bars may not be seated right. Had it happen with the wife's 500 a few months ago. Hope this helps.

__________________

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

kfox75 is offline  
PanBaccha Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:41 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jimogden1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 863
Liked 330 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
This may sound kinda dumb, but here goes. Are the two levers that sit in the side grooves inside the receiver in the right grooves? Or could one be slightly bent? Try field stripping the shotgun and reassembling it again. One of the shell blocking bars may not be seated right. Had it happen with the wife's 500 a few months ago. Hope this helps.
I was gonna say the same thing
__________________
jimogden1984 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hernando,Ms
Posts: 97
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default

The left & right shell stops are what hold the new shell in the action tube
until cycled by the action slide. I have seen the contact surfaces on the stops and the
action tube wear and cause this problem.

watch the stops for movement as you cycle the action. you may have to replace both
the stops and action tube to reliably fix the problem

__________________
Drriley is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jimogden1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 863
Liked 330 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drriley View Post
The left & right shell stops are what hold the new shell in the action tube
until cycled by the action slide. I have seen the contact surfaces on the stops and the
action tube wear and cause this problem.

watch the stops for movement as you cycle the action. you may have to replace both
the stops and action tube to reliably fix the problem
Those wore out on mine only instead of feeding problems I had shells dropping out at my feet when I pulled the trigger. I was able to put a lil more bend to em and its working fine, I should probably pick up a spare set though...can you recommend any sites to order from?
__________________
jimogden1984 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #9
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kfox75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Erie County PA,
Posts: 2,517
Liked 1577 Times on 964 Posts
Likes Given: 8154

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimogden1984 View Post
Those wore out on mine only instead of feeding problems I had shells dropping out at my feet when I pulled the trigger. I was able to put a lil more bend to em and its working fine, I should probably pick up a spare set though...can you recommend any sites to order from?
Numrich gun parts corp. Here's a link that will get you in the ball park, without a gauge, I can't get you a link to the specific parts.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Mossberg-33399/Shotguns-37443/500-41910/PartsList-34118.htm?results=100&page=2
__________________

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

kfox75 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:13 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jimogden1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 863
Liked 330 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post

Numrich gun parts corp. Here's a link that will get you in the ball park, without a gauge, I can't get you a link to the specific parts.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Mossberg-33399/Shotguns-37443/500-41910/PartsList-34118.htm?results=100&page=2
It's a 12 gauge, thank you


__________________
jimogden1984 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Cut shells mtnbadger General Shotgun Discussion 1 04-01-2013 05:08 PM
.410 shells potentialglock General Shotgun Discussion 9 08-09-2012 03:38 PM
Cut shells Hectocotylus General Shotgun Discussion 7 08-07-2012 05:46 AM
Mossberg 935 - shoting 2 3/4 shells fischer1 General Shotgun Discussion 9 08-21-2008 07:57 PM