Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Mossberg 500 magazine tube (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/mossberg-500-magazine-tube-61380/)

TooStrongTerry 03-29-2012 07:16 PM

Mossberg 500 magazine tube
 
Just bought a 500 and I can only fit 2 shells in the mag. I guess there's a plug in it...I can't get the tube off to save my life! Help!!

@TooStrongTerry

cplwolf 03-29-2012 07:53 PM

on the 500, and 500A there is a wooden dowel in the magazine that they use as a plug, you should be able to screw the magazine off of the reciever without too much problem, if it's stuck, spray some penetrating fluid, like zep 45 or wd40 on the area where the magazine and reciever meet.

orangello 03-29-2012 07:57 PM

On my 500, you don't have to remove the mag tube from the receiver, only the cap from the end of the mag tube. I have used a pencil as a "plug" when i used one.

By "cap", i mean whatever part #19 is called; it stays attached to the barrel when you remove the barrel from the shotgun. http://www.gunslot.com/files/gunslot/images/70148.jpg

Of course, my 500 is old, bought used in 1995 (while on the way to dove hunt).

hiwall 03-29-2012 10:35 PM

orangello is correct. many people use a small piece of wood. remove the barrel hold upside down and shake

TooStrongTerry 03-30-2012 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cplwolf
on the 500, and 500A there is a wooden dowel in the magazine that they use as a plug, you should be able to screw the magazine off of the reciever without too much problem, if it's stuck, spray some penetrating fluid, like zep 45 or wd40 on the area where the magazine and reciever meet.

No ^^^ this is what I mean. There's a wooden plug inside. I have to remove it. Wolf I've tried everything...its not budging. Might have to take it to a gunsmith

@TooStrongTerry

HockaLouis 03-30-2012 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TooStrongTerry (Post 756093)
No ^^^ this is what I mean. There's a wooden plug inside. I have to remove it. Wolf I've tried everything...its not budging. Might have to take it to a gunsmith

@TooStrongTerry

Nah. Get the dowel loose if it is stuck. it is supposed to be in the middle of the spring. With the barrel removed hold it butt up. U should see it there in the barrel stud screw hole. Shake it a little back and forth in this position. No luck with it falling out but see it? Get a sharp pin and move it thru the hole till it is centered and falls out. STILL no luck!?

Liberally spray the mag tube at the receiver with WD-40 and let it rest overnight tube UP. Next day, put one of those fan belt wrenches/bottle openers on the tube near the receiver (do not put the wrench on an oily tube) and slowly turn the tube out. Be careful of loaded mag spring! Remove dowel. Replace spring, follower and mag tube.

Go to range. Load five, yes FIVE, American made 3" magnum shells in the tube and fire them out. Relish the last two as they are two more than the standard Remington 870 will take no less cycle reliably these days!

TooStrongTerry 03-30-2012 01:18 AM

Heeyyyy!!! It worked. Thanksss!!!

@TooStrongTerry

HockaLouis 03-30-2012 11:27 AM

LOL You're very welcome. Hey -- where's my "thumb's up"!? ;)

Buckethead47 03-30-2012 12:07 PM

I can fit 5 shells in my 870 without the plug. But I don't need that many ever.

HockaLouis 03-31-2012 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckethead47 (Post 756542)
I can fit 5 shells in my 870 without the plug. But I don't need that many ever.

Hmmm... You mean 4+1 2-3/4". How many 3" can you get in the tube magazine alone? Think you're down to 3+1 vs. the Mossberg's 5+1.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:22 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.