Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Mossberg 500 Length Of Pull

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Any Mossberg youth stock for a 20g will fit a 12g and vice versa. There will be a very small overhang around the receiver, not enough to even notice. I don't know about the stocks for the .410 though. Mossberg sells youth stocks with 13" LOP for the 12 and 20 in wood and that measurement is with the recoil pad attached.

Last edited by Underdog; 12-15-2013 at 02:13 PM.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:23 AM   #12
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1473 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 7200

How much of a handyman are you? buy a grind to fit recoil pad and a roll of masking tape. Measure your LOP, and then measure the LOP of you model 500. Remove the stock from the shotgun. Cover the area of the stock you will remove with the masking tape (making sure to cover the area you will be ctting), measure and mark the line you will cut along, mark it, and cut halfway through the stock with a fine saw ( I prefer a hacksaw with a new blade for this.) on the left or right side. Make sure your cut is straight. Repeat the cut on the other side of the stock until you are just shy of half way. Snap the piece to be removed off, and smooth out the new pad mounting surface with a sander. Carefully. Mount up your new pad, mark around the base of the buttstock with a sharpie, remove the pad, and using a bench grinder in small steps grind it until it fits the buttstock. After it fits and is reinstalled, remove the masking tape.

Go slow, and take your time. It is not a hard job, it just requires a lot of attention to detail. If you have to guess on the length, leave it a little long. it is far easier to remove excess wood than it is to put it back on.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 12-16-2013, 05:01 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1345 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 454

The Mossberg 500A (12 ga) has a 14.5" LOP. The 500C (20 ga) has a 13.5" LOP. A knowledgeable gunsmith will cut your stock to fit you for about the same price as a lame aftermarket stock.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 12-16-2013, 05:15 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1345 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 454

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
I got a Mossberg 500 a few month back and it has been a safe queen ever since, but recently I been taking it out and practicing quick shouldering it, and it always gets caught in my armpit on the way up, so to shoulder it quickly I have to push it forward then back to my shoulder on the way up.I am considering a different buttstock, what do you think about that idea or what is a good one I can use because the standard 14.25" seems way too long for me even though I am 6'0" and have long arms for my body size.
I would call mossberg. They will fix you up with the proper stock for your gun. A friend ordered a new synthetic stock from mossberg, it cost less than $40. Mossberg has a lot of stocks that are not listed on their website. You need to call Mossberg to see what is available.

Really, the best thing to do is have the stock cut to fit you. The only way to get a consistent cheek weld is to have the stock cut to fit you.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 12-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 641 Times on 505 Posts

our op seems to have disappeared, leaving us to wonder and make blind assessments.
his desire was to shorten his stock. whats so hard about that? it appears he doesnt want a properly fitted gun. he just doesnt want it to stick on his clothes.
am i missing something?

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 12-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #16

Liked 314 Times on 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
our op seems to have disappeared, leaving us to wonder and make blind assessments.
his desire was to shorten his stock. whats so hard about that? it appears he doesnt want a properly fitted gun. he just doesnt want it to stick on his clothes.
am i missing something?
Ha, I think he wanted the best of both worlds. The hogue stocks are cheap enough that I'd rather buy one before I cit down the factory one. That way, if I ever sell the gun, I can sell the other stock with it.