Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Mossberg 500 Length Of Pull (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/mossberg-500-length-pull-101561/)

ninjatoth 12-14-2013 03:10 PM

Mossberg 500 Length Of Pull

I got a Mossberg 500 a few month back and it has been a safe queen ever since, but recently I been taking it out and practicing quick shouldering it, and it always gets caught in my armpit on the way up, so to shoulder it quickly I have to push it forward then back to my shoulder on the way up.I am considering a different buttstock, what do you think about that idea or what is a good one I can use because the standard 14.25" seems way too long for me even though I am 6'0" and have long arms for my body size.

FernandoTheCommando 12-14-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjatoth (Post 1458507)
I got a Mossberg 500 a few month back and it has been a safe queen ever since, but recently I been taking it out and practicing quick shouldering it, and it always gets caught in my armpit on the way up, so to shoulder it quickly I have to push it forward then back to my shoulder on the way up.I am considering a different buttstock, what do you think about that idea or what is a good one I can use because the standard 14.25" seems way too long for me even though I am 6'0" and have long arms for my body size.

A lot of guys, pros included, will wrap electrical tape around the last few inches of the butt stock. I have the same issue with my 590 and it's long length of pull. Mossberg makes a 12" lop stock that is on my wish list. Apparently the only thing you need is a new threaded bolt for the stock. Mossberg sells one or you can get. 5 3/4" threaded one at the hardware store.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_box_?k=mossberg+12+inch

ninjatoth 12-14-2013 04:02 PM

I might have to try the electrical tape. I keep seeing the Hogue 12" stock, but it's rubber, and I see the Mossberg youth stock 11.75", but I don't know if it will fit correctly, probably a dumb question but is the youth 500 is the same gun as the regular 500 but just a shorter stock?

Underdog 12-14-2013 10:06 PM

I played around a lot with LOP and finally settled on 13" and it has been working well. Also a shotgun that fits you well will have lesser felt recoil. I have a Hogue 12" LOP stock and I use a limbsaver pad over that secured with rubber cement, it gives a perfect 13" LOP and the pad can be removed easily with no mess. I also have a Mossberg wood youth stock with a limbsaver pad and again a 13" LOP. The Hogue is only rubber around the grip, not the entire butt stock.

bobski 12-15-2013 12:17 AM

do you have a butt pad or plate?

sputnik1988 12-15-2013 12:28 AM

I find the length of pull to be about right but the handguard/pump itself way too far forward. I'm considering a shorter stock as well to solve that problem, or maybe a longer handguard.

ninjatoth 12-15-2013 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobski (Post 1458945)
do you have a butt pad or plate?

It has a pad on it, looks like it's an inch or 2 thick. It's whatever comes standard on a 500 mariner.

bobski 12-15-2013 01:26 AM

take it off. honest. instant fix. let your coat be the pad.

Underdog 12-15-2013 02:14 AM

I use field forends on all my pumps. They might not look tactical, but they function better and combine that with a reduced LOP and you have one nice setup.

FernandoTheCommando 12-15-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjatoth (Post 1458543)
I might have to try the electrical tape. I keep seeing the Hogue 12" stock, but it's rubber, and I see the Mossberg youth stock 11.75", but I don't know if it will fit correctly, probably a dumb question but is the youth 500 is the same gun as the regular 500 but just a shorter stock?

Never hurts to give Mossberg a call. I've spoke with their customer service many times and they have always been friendly and very helpful.