Mossberg 500 home security.How to mod for hunting?? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Mossberg 500 home security.How to mod for hunting??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2009, 05:47 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Actually you HAVE to have a choke tube installed when shooting slugs-just make sure it's a cylinder or improved cylinder. If you shoot a shotgun without ANY tube installed, it'll clog up the threads in the least, and damage the threads at the worst.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 07-29-2009, 06:58 PM   #22

Indeed. I prefer shooting slugs and buckshot through my cylinder bore barrel [18.5" HD]. I only have a modified choke on my hunting barrel and that wouldnt work too well.

S.S.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:58 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder92 View Post
Just called them and they quoted me $133 plus shipping for either the 20in or 28in like yours. Guess price went up. Can't believe its this hard and expensive to get this done. I'll check into tapping it today and then most likely just order from mossberg like you did. That gun just got more expensive but also more fun thanks to all for the help. Think mossberg needs to make this easier for people to figure out on their website.
I'm not surprised about the price increase, but I love my Mossberg, so it's still worth it in my opinion. My local gun shop is very helpful, and they are the ones who gave me the phone number. I also recomend a 2x full choke for turkey hunting or skeet shooting.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:49 PM   #24

Default cool , thanks.

I guess I'll order it from mossberg. The local gun shop said they could tap the barrel and thread it but it probably wouldn't be very accurate with the short barrel. A waste in their mind. Thanks and happy shooting.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:53 PM   #25

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I assume you're talking about shooting aerial clay pigeons. If you was actually shooting the organized game of skeet, you'd want a double or semiauto with an open choke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadomunkey View Post
I'm not surprised about the price increase, but I love my Mossberg, so it's still worth it in my opinion. My local gun shop is very helpful, and they are the ones who gave me the phone number. I also recomend a 2x full choke for turkey hunting or skeet shooting.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 07-30-2009, 12:33 AM   #26
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Actually you HAVE to have a choke tube installed when shooting slugs-just make sure it's a cylinder or improved cylinder. If you shoot a shotgun without ANY tube installed, it'll clog up the threads in the least, and damage the threads at the worst.
That assumes you have a threaded barrel that takes choke tubes. If you do, then yes, you want a tube installed that has no choke to protect your threads or you want to use a slug barrel. You do not want a choke installed when shooting slugs.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:55 AM   #27

Default ya

I meant clay pigeons. And I don't really care about shooting slugs. Won't be hunting game big enough for that ever. I just want a shotgun with a choke that can reach game up to 35-40 yards. Looking at a remington 870 they have at the shop too. It has a modified choke on it. Under $300.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:12 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I assume you're talking about shooting aerial clay pigeons. If you was actually shooting the organized game of skeet, you'd want a double or semiauto with an open choke.
I stand corrected, you are right. I'd use my H&R Autoloader for skeet.